Someones cat is eating me chickens

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately whatever it was went into the coop at night and killed one in there right under their roosts and just left her there. He didn't even take the body she's torn open a little on her bottom but nothing major. I'm not sure of her breed but she is fairly smaller and the other three that died were golden comets I think(I've seen people call them that)but they also were not that big I have one hen left who is bigger along with three roosters(yes i know that's way to many for the number of hens)I've been trying to get rid of them... So it is taking the smaller ones. I'll deffinetely be Watching today and moving them somewhere safe tonight until I can get rid of whatever it is.
How did it get into your coop? That may be a whole different predator since the MO is not the same as the others. Have you considered building a secure run, attached to your coop so you can lock them up for a bit? That may discourage your predator(s), causing them to move on and look for an easier meal. Right now, you have a 24 hour chicken buffet just waiting for them.

Last edited:
The door didn't get tied up right and the top of it hung open a little bit. The coop is an unused shed and it's worked fine until now.

Hey y'all thought I would let you know Whats going on. The last 4 have been safe in their coop at night, its been getting closed up the right way since the last incident, I did see a few tracks outside in the mud and it dug a little hole. It is a racoon. Tonight I got home around 9:30pm usually close them up at 8:00. And 3 of them didn't go into the coop.They would not go in at all I tried shooing them in, that only made the rooster angry and defensive. So the 3 our roosting on the gate and a old unused food bin.. Around 10:40 I looked outside to see the racoon just chilling out there eating leftover feed crumbs on the ground. It wasn't bothering the chickens at all. The chickens weren't making a fuss at all and still arent. I'm just confused as to why they don't make a fuss when its around and why they didn't go into their coop tonight. Sorry if this is long and or confusing, thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
They are not going in because they are afraid of something getting them in there. I have no idea why the raccoon didn't kill them all, the ones here would certainly have taken advantage of the easy pickings.

Keesmom that is what I figured. So they our roosting right on the other side of their fence again tonight. I dont know if it didn't take them because it had other food to eat or what. But I will try and fix this whole thing tomorrow

Start feeding your chickens in the coop. You must get them to accept being "cooped" at night. If you allow that coon to hang around, you won't have ANY chickens soon.

There are dogproof coon traps that are incredibly effective at capturing coons, skunks and possums. They will not catch a cat though.

http://www.rpoutdoors.com/dudpcotr.html

Feral cats are killers. I consider an unwelcome cat on my property just another predator and dispatch them with the same vigor as I do with other predators.

Gamecams are getting cheaper every year. You don't need even close to the high tech cameras that hunters are using these days. Here's one for around $60.00. It will absolutely capture photos of your predator.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Moultrie-Game-Spy-A-5-Gen-2-Low-Glow-Game-Cam-5.0-MP/43333389

I have no affiliation with sellers of traps or game cams.

The reason they weren't making a fuss is because chickens are pretty much unaware of what is going on around them at night. That's why they're such easy pickings after dark. Raccoons aren't your only threat at night. Owls will also kill them

your description actually sounds like a Fox (red or grey) I think the raccoon is a third party like the cat. Foxes have cubs now or are preparing to depending on where you are and foxes are big ones for killing a lot when they have the chance and burying it in caches for later use

Back
Top Bottom