Something attacked my hen Graphic pics

Here are some Pics after I cleaned her up, I just couldn't put her down, I'm hoping that the damage is not to her vent, which I can not seem to find I know am I stupid or what but the thing just does not look the same now. Is she savable??? Please say yes!
fl.gif

56060_dsc01935.jpg

56060_dsc01937.jpg

She is not very pale, and is trying to preen since I cleaned her up, these are good signs right?

I would go by the fact she's trying to preen and give it a day or two at least. I know there is a thread on using aspirin for pain relief, maybe someone else can chime in with a dose. Watch very carefully for stools and see if you can't locate her actual vent. I don't think anyone would say you are "stupid". It's hard to make heads or tails out of that severe an injury.

I'm fotr giving her a day or two to decide, she will let you know when she has given up. keep those wounds clean, put antibiotic ointment on them and keep her separated from the others until she completely heals. put some electrolyte solution in her water for added strenght. I wish you and her luck

Chickens are tough and it looks painful but if shes preening she can't be in too much pain. You'll know when she's given up so i would keep her safely inside and keep cleaning her up. There is a chance she will make it if she starts to go downhill maybe think about getting her put down. Make sure she's drinking and eating incase of infection as she will need to be strong to fight infection. But if shes preening the pain can't be that bad..
Hope she pulls through.
Daisy. xx

Oh goodness, that looks really bad...
Personally I would be putting her down to prevent prolonged suffering, this does not look good, and I have a bad feeling that the internal organs were damaged.
But if you think she will pull threw put her on antibiotics immediately! Keep her and the area clean at all times, and if infection sets in and it looks like her internal organs are being effected, you need to do what is right for the animal.
I dont know about your area, but where I am from the local animal Control will do a courtesy euthinization to people who's animals are either suffering, beyond vicious, or anything like that.
Please keep us updated as to what you will be doing, and how things turn out should you choose to see if you can fix her.
If anything, she needs some major stitches, and a vet...

Sure, it looks bad. I also believe chickens are very resiliant. Ultimately you have to make the decision, but my initial thoughts are to give her a day or two to see what happens. Keeping it clean will be a challenge. Best wishes. Keep us updated.

Does anyone know if she can be given oral antibiotics? Can they be purchased at agway, tractor supply, or any other farm store? I have a hen that survived having her skin completely ripped off her bottom... she was a bloody pulpy mess. I could hardly keep from passing out it looked so bad and I thought for sure she would day within hours. I gently washed her with an antibiotic wash and kept putting on neosporin on her for several weeks. She eventually healed... but had a very smooth bottom. I never thought she'd be able to grow feathers in that area again, but several months later she had a beautiful feathery butt. That was two years ago and she's as beautiful as ever. If she isn't showing signs of stress, and is holding her own, I'd give her a chance.

Like the others, lets wait and see if she will bounce out of it. The shock within 24 to 48 hours is critial at this stage. Infection would be your worse enemy. Do not apply anything that has -------caine. Chickens are allergic to anything that has caine in it. Aspirin would be your best bet for pain. Bentryl for the wounds. Do not put proxide or alcohol on it, it would burn the healing skin.

Someone mentioned honey as a healing property. Yes it is messy but if you have gauze, and baby diapers, it can be done You might need to cut her tail feathers Or cut a hole in diaper to have her tail access outward and you would have to change and clean reguarly to keep it from "burning" her bum.

Good luck and I hope she can pull thru. I have seen worse cases than this. If and when this girl decided she had enough, going downhill, then you will have to gather your courage and put her down.

Back
Top Bottom