Something attacted my flock

Gardengurl4

Hatching
May 20, 2017
Last week during the middle of the day, my ducks and chickens were attacked. 7 ducks were killed and 9 chickens are missing. 2 of my remaining ducks are wounded and I am still trying to figure out what attacked them. Attached is a picture one of the wounds on the most injured duck. Does anybody know whdt it might have been?

Attachments

• 5679.jpeg
    5679.jpeg
    365.2 KB · Views: 10
Or a fox. They will kill as many as they can so they can keep returning for a quick meal. Sorry for your loss. Have any more details like do they free range? Any noticeable entry points?

BTW I'm a hunter and we have all those predators. And we can put out decoys and call in fox, coons, coyotes middle of the day. They are easily drawn out if they think there's easy prey. I almost ran over a fox at lunch last week trying to get home.

I did say usually dawn and dusk.

I have lost ducks to fox. Always at night and always one at a time. That does not mean they don't or won't do a mass killing. That usually happens inside a coop though not in the open.

There are lots and lots of reported mass killings on here involving assorted dogs.

I did say usually dawn and dusk.

I have lost ducks to fox. Always at night and always one at a time. That does not mean they don't or won't do a mass killing. That usually happens inside a coop though not in the open.

There are lots and lots of reported mass killings on here involving assorted dogs.
I'm not disputing that. There are also claims on here where foxes cleaned out free range chickens during the day. That's all I was saying. For the op not to rule them out. Because trapping a coyote or disposing of one is a lot different than doing that if it's a fox. That's why I asked if they could provide more detail.

It was in the middle of the day. They do free range and have for 2 years, not any more. All but 1 duck was found dead in the barn. The wounds are under their wings like the picture.

I also had 11 chicks in a brooder in the barn that was completely undisturbed.

It was in the middle of the day. They do free range and have for 2 years, not any more. All but 1 duck was found dead in the barn. The wounds are under their wings like the picture.

I also had 11 chicks in a brooder in the barn that was completely undisturbed.
My experience was a dog. Killed 10 ducks and 6 chickens. Dogs don't eat anything when they attack, they just kill. I treat roaming dogs as predators. Someone on here once said "your dog on your property is a pet, your dog on my property is a predator". The dog that killed mine won't do it again. If people love their dogs they won't let them roam. Sorry for your loss, I know how devastating it is. I still think about my sweet ducks and my baby chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom