Something Digging in the Coop and it's Not the Chickens!

I put a wire cage over the hole to keep the chickens from getting into anything and put Decon rat poison inside the cage. Rats and mice could get in the posion but the chickens could not. Fill the holes back in after the posion is gone. No more problems

99 out of 100 cats will run the other way when encountering a rat. Cats are pretty good at whoopin up on mice, baby rabbits, and songbirds, but they're basically all cowards when a real challenge is starin' them in the face. There are a few old tough tom cats that will tackle a squirrel or adult rabbit though.

One problem with this theory my FEMALE cat Blue Eyes has killed and brought home many squirriles and severel Adult rabbits, including one twice her size that was alive and still kicking! ( It had severe neck would (from her) , so we let her have it)​

Last edited:
up date: We lost a roo
hit.gif
, he either died of natural causes then eaten ( one side of his face and neck) or was killed and eaten. I loved him his name was Fredy he was sweet and sufured a leg ingury this summer and slowly went down hill from there
sad.png
, we had just decided that he was going to be put down, when this happed.
hit.gif

Also we now have a trap in the coop ( too small for chickens to get in to, also is a live trap so if anything else gets in I can release it) it's baited with peanut butter, I'll let you guys know if we catch anything.

You know, it's taken me this long to realize that it's actually inside the coop where the digging is being done (I was thinking you meant the run, but you're meaning the coop itself). Silly me!
tongue.png

Have you found any holes outside the coop that the animal could be using to get from inside to outside? I'm trying to figure out how the animal got in there in the first place.

Would you like help brainstorming some ways to get rid of the dirt floor in the coop? I'm thinking that adding a real floor or putting down some wire, then covering the wire with dirt could really help you out.

Have you found any holes outside the coop that the animal could be using to get from inside to outside? I'm trying to figure out how the animal got in there in the first place.

That's the odd thing I can't, I have cheaked several times and can't find anything.
Would you like help brainstorming some ways to get rid of the dirt floor in the coop? I'm thinking that adding a real floor or putting down some wire, then covering the wire with dirt could really help you out.

Any project would have to wait till spring, inless we get a warm period. Then I might try the wire, inless we can find cheap wood for a floor, any ideas were to get cheap wood for flooring?​

Last edited:
don't use wood on the floor. if you lay it directly on the dirt it will rot away very quickly. If you suspend it on floor joists, you will create perfect tunnels for every rat and weasel in the county..

concrete is good and easy to keep clean.. In one of my lesser coops I used what we call rotten granite locally.. it packs hard and it is sort of stoney.
but I noticed I have a tunnel in there this winter also. rats.

concrete is good and easy to keep clean.. In one of my lesser coops I used what we call rotten granite locally.. it packs hard and it is sort of stoney.
but I noticed I have a tunnel in there this winter also. rats

Only problems with concrete is 1. pricey 2. the coop is all ready built​

Definitely sounds like rats, and they will kill chickens. Most cats aren't very effective since rats fight back. A friend was losing birds and finally started setting large Victor rat traps. Caught over 2 dozen before it was over. Good luck.

Last edited:
Someone sezzz....99 out of 100 cats will run when confronted with a rat. I sezzz..you must have some whimpy cats in your neck of the woods..!
I work part time at a chicken farm with several cats, i see dead and chewed up rats laying around on a regular basis...my own cat.(Minime) has also killed plenty of rats around my home flock....cats can be very effective, unless its a lazy pampered house cat type thingie...
I also use baits and have used victor traps...if you know their around , you gotta keep hammering them, or they will get out of control.....good luck....PS...cement floors are a good thing...!

Back
Top Bottom