Something good to put down in a coop/run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Flutterbee, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Flutterbee

Flutterbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    Since grass doesn't grow, what's something good to put down in a coop that will make it less muddy and be good for the chickens to scratch in?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Straw is a good choice. The chickens love scratching in it, it absorbs some moisture, and it is compostable. Another option is sand. I've never used sand, but I've read/heard that it is easy to clean and healthy for the chickens to live in.

3. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    myself i have never had luck with straw as it molds to easy in winter especially and holds to much moisture...i like 4-6 inches of sand then start with 4 inches of pine chips and add a little weekly...and use deep liter method...jeff

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you mean the run(where the chicken are safe to scratch and lounge during the day) or the coop (where they lay eggs and roost to sleep)?

I'm guessing you mean the run. Less muddy = less water.

Check your drainage, where is the water coming from and can you divert it so it goes somewhere else?
    What kind of soil is there?
    Can you put a solid roof over part of it?

My soil is sandy and slightly sloped so it drains well.....but after very heavy rain and especially during snow melt, I spread a thin layer of straw around to decrease the muck tracked into the coop. they scratch it around and so it doesn't get moldy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by