Something got 1 of my hens and the rooster is hurt.

firemantom

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2017
Ball Ground, GA
Yesterday we let our chickens out which they love and then I heard the dog whining and went our and there were feathers everywhere! We called and finally the hens started coming back and the rooster came back but all his back feathers are gone and he has a cut on his back. I put wound spray on it but he is really a mess. One of the hens is missing, we didn't hear anything even the chickens didn't make their distress noises. What do you think it was, it was in the late afternoon. Thanks!

We have had chickens lost to coyotes in the daytime here. Whatever it is, it will be back. Lock them up! Good luck!!!!!

We lost a Light Brahma hen to a coyote a couple of years ago, I would follow the advice above and lock your flock up until you find out what did this.
The very next day the coyote that took my hen was back for more (although it was a close call, his attack was thankfully unsuccessful).
Because whatever did this will be back pretty soon.

In addition to coyote it could have also been a fox. I've witnessed many fox attacks and they usually grab on the back as you describe. Keep an eye out for your missing hen, she could be hiding somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom