Something got my roo! I am just amazed. UPDATE-I GOT IT!! PG 9-GRAPHIC

Mrs. Glassman

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Cedartown, Georgia
Oh man, I went out today to feed everyone and one roo is vanished.

He was in a pen with 2 other roos, all about 5 months old. The pen is made of heavy duty hardwire cloth. The holes are probably 1 inch wide, by 1/2 tall. It's closed on all sides, even underneath. The pen is still fastened and locked.

There are feathers on the outside of the pen, in a pile, with what looks like partially eaten grain from his crop or gizzard.

A few tiny feathers are still sticking to the wire, but the wire is not bent, or mangled. There isn't even any blood. There are lots of flies & bees scouting the feathered area, so I am guessing there WAS blood. There is nothing else. No bones, no feet, no nothing. I have no idea what (except for maybe a raccoon) would take the whole bird, and barely leave a sign. But I still can't figure out how it got a WHOLE ROOSTER out of a pen with wire that small & not leave parts of the bird, or damage the wire. :h

Last edited:
keep us posted. i will be checking back in on this post so see if you catch him!!! good luck
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Mrs. Glassman :

It's closed on all sides, even underneath.

Is it safe to assume you have a roof on it as well?​

We have a double "who done it"? Mrs. Glassman and Chris F, please post some pics of your coops and runs.

Give us the actual measurements of the fencing and a good picture of the doors that open into the coops and runs. Possible that the bird slipped out and is still missing?

One time, my pet dove got released from her cage by a dog and I searched the yard and didn't find a single feather. Turned out that "Wilma" flew away. She fly back to us a few days later.

Whole birds can't fit through 1/2" wire. Possible that your wire is 1" x 2" squares or larger?

Also possible that a bird could have been stolen.

--Hugh

Last edited:
~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Is it possible the roo didn't get in the pen last night and was outside and that's where the preditor got him?

The roo's are in what I call a cull pen. And no one EVER gets to leave the pens because they don't come back, or if they do, they no longer have tail feathers. To many cats & dogs wander up for them to get to free range.​

Back
Top Bottom