Something in chicken butt

Singing Chickens

Songster
6 Years
Mar 6, 2018
Oregon
I noticed my Sultan had extra poo around her butt, so I brought her in and washed it off and noticed blood and something coming out of her butt. It's hard and I'm not sure what it is. Any ideas?
Chicken Butt.jpg

She had a soft shell egg collapse inside her. What you see is the membrane folded up as she attempted to expel it. Was the "extra poo" yellow? If it was, that was the yolk.

There is mild cause for concern that something may be out of kilter inside her egg "works". Because this egg had no shell, it indicates she needs extra calcium. I give a crushed calcium citrate tablet each day until I get a normal egg. The extra calcium also helps prevent egg collapse which can inflame the oviduct and cause infection. This is in addition to the oyster shell you provide free choice.

Right now, just keep an eye on her and give the calcium each day. If she starts to behave lethargically, you need to start her on an antibiotic as that would indicate infection has set in. Caught early, she should recover all right.

She had a soft shell egg collapse inside her. What you see is the membrane folded up as she attempted to expel it. Was the "extra poo" yellow? If it was, that was the yolk.

There is mild cause for concern that something may be out of kilter inside her egg "works". Because this egg had no shell, it indicates she needs extra calcium. I give a crushed calcium citrate tablet each day until I get a normal egg. The extra calcium also helps prevent egg collapse which can inflame the oviduct and cause infection. This is in addition to the oyster shell you provide free choice.

Right now, just keep an eye on her and give the calcium each day. If she starts to behave lethargically, you need to start her on an antibiotic as that would indicate infection has set in. Caught early, she should recover all right.
How do you get them to eat the calcium?

My chickens all adore peanut butter. You ever see a dog after it eats peanut butter? Chickens are even funnier!

I crush the calcium tablet with a hammer and mix it into a dab of peanut butter. The chicken gobbles it right up.
That might make a good picture! Thank you! I added some Oyster Shell into their feed for tomorrow until I can pick up some calcium for her. I usually keep the Oyster Shell next to their laying bins and I usually have hard egg shells. But I noticed this year they have been softer and I am not filling up the Oyster Shell container as often.

Back
Top Bottom