Something interesting happened tonight:

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by RobotChicken, Jan 11, 2009.

1. RobotChicken

RobotChicken Chicken TV Addict

Oct 16, 2008
    Colorado Baby!
    A guy came by tonight doing a followup on an article from last monday's paper, I missed it so I didn't know what it was. Answered a few questions for him, showed him my chickens.

So then I went and looked up the article:
    [​IMG]

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009901050327

So ya, because I paid $30 for the chicken permit like I was supposed to(which is more than a dog license BTW), I now got my address posted in the paper........hope there is not someone out there who takes an issue with me having chickens.

(not sure where this post really fits in, so I figured I would throw it here for now)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Interesting. I would suggest you contact the editor of the paper if you didn't like that. I'm not sure where the line between privacy and information in the public domain would lie, but it's best to let the editor know how you feel.

3. chels23

chels23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    S.E Kansas
    Maybe showing people that you have chickens isn't such a bad thing. Free advertising if you want to sell eggs.

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I'd increase my chicken security. Looks like a map for bored teens to go and have some fun.

5. RobotChicken

RobotChicken Chicken TV Addict

Oct 16, 2008
    Colorado Baby!
    Quote:Still not sure how I feel about it. It would be one thing to just show about where we all were in the city, but giving out the address specifically kinda irks me. (contemplating a letter to the editor)

Quote:I get 3-4 eggs a day, just enough for me, not really interested in selling them at any price.

Quote:Well, I do have the chicken cam, and my outside security cam.......but they are not hooked up to anything for recording.....

Though to be fair I doubt many bored mischievous teens are reading the paper.....[​IMG]

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Though to be fair I doubt many bored mischievous teens are reading the paper.....

[​IMG] Good point​

7. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    LOL I agree ..most bad kids will find you without the newspaper.

I would not allow my paper to "map me out" regardless of the reason.

8. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    yea I don't think I would like my specific address in there either.
    is a letter to the editor worth it now? it has been seen....so I don't know. I guess a letter is fine if you feel real strong about it...I know I wouldn't want that to happen to me.

I wonder if they ever listed all the dog people? LOL

huh---

9. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I suppose it's considered public info........but I would be reeling right now.

They don't even put addresses in papers anymore for funerals because it invites thiefs.

I would be so PO'D.

10. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    What was the editorial intent behind putting people's exact addresses down? Were they having a local coop walk?
    It's one thing to have to go to the licensing office to look up all the addresses. It's another thing that they MAPPED IT ALL OUT and put the addresses on in large print in the local newspaper. I would have issue with that. Write your letter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by