Something is attacking my Isa Brown hens at night

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kelpiedog, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Kelpiedog

Kelpiedog Hatching

Jun 4, 2011
    Melbourne
    Hi,
    This is my first post here.
    I have lost four of my Isa Brown hens in the last four weeks, I am finding blood in my coop in the morning and when I inspect my hens I find blood usually under the wing.
    One hen is targeted at a time over several nights until it is dead, then they move on to the next victim.
    I have had a lot of mice lately and have killed forty or so using the plastic bottle on a wire over a bucket of water (check it out on you tube, it works).
    I have not seen any sign of rats but I think they may be the culprit.
    Has anyone ever heard of mice doing this kind of damage to chickens ?

2. gertiie

gertiie Songster

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    My first thought was the other chickens attacking each other but then you said over several nights, if it was the chickens I would think they would attack each other during the day too .
    I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you are going though [​IMG] How many chickens are left ?

3. welasharon

welasharon Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    How are they getting in?

4. It sounds like rats may be getting into your coop. They have a habit of picking away at the weakest until they can finish them off. If you search this site on rats, it may be helpful to you. Best of luck! [​IMG]

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Songster

If you have a rodent issue, look into the barrel with a wire trap. It involves no poison nor does it put your birds at risk.

6. Kelpiedog

Kelpiedog Hatching

Jun 4, 2011
    Melbourne
    Thanks for the reply everyone,
    I am down to my last hen and a rooster, I now suspect my rooster, last night I moved the pair to my shed and in the morning my hen was bleeding, there was already fresh blood present at 6:30 last night when I moved them.
    The rooster is the only one that has never been attacked.
    They definately do not fight during the day, they have a large coop with plenty of room.
    Perhaps my rooster has decided he would prefer to sleep alone.

7. JPHorvath

JPHorvath Chirping

Quote:I have searched for this with Google can't seem to find this trap you are referring to. Could you kindly post the link to the video? Think I found something that maybe similar using beer can.

8. JPHorvath

JPHorvath Chirping

Quote:If it were the Rooster his head would be covered in blood. I think it is a Rat! I have never heard of a Rooster killing off hens. My guess is the rooster has been fending off the assailant.

9. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I have searched for this with Google can't seem to find this trap you are referring to. Could you kindly post the link to the video? Think I found something that maybe similar using beer can.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17093/17093-h/17093-h.htm#page_131

scroll down to page 127 you can use 55 gallon drums or 5 gallon buckets they work well

10. Kelpiedog

Kelpiedog Hatching

Jun 4, 2011
    Melbourne
    Tonight I have seperated the hen, so I will check it in the morning.
    As for the mouse trap, you can use a plastic bottle or a can.
    I use the bottle because it has a groove in it to place the peanut butter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: