Something is attacking my Isa Brown hens at night

Kelpiedog

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Melbourne
Hi,
This is my first post here.
I have lost four of my Isa Brown hens in the last four weeks, I am finding blood in my coop in the morning and when I inspect my hens I find blood usually under the wing.
One hen is targeted at a time over several nights until it is dead, then they move on to the next victim.
I have had a lot of mice lately and have killed forty or so using the plastic bottle on a wire over a bucket of water (check it out on you tube, it works).
I have not seen any sign of rats but I think they may be the culprit.
Has anyone ever heard of mice doing this kind of damage to chickens ?

My first thought was the other chickens attacking each other but then you said over several nights, if it was the chickens I would think they would attack each other during the day too .
I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you are going though
hugs.gif
How many chickens are left ?

Thanks for the reply everyone,
I am down to my last hen and a rooster, I now suspect my rooster, last night I moved the pair to my shed and in the morning my hen was bleeding, there was already fresh blood present at 6:30 last night when I moved them.
The rooster is the only one that has never been attacked.
They definately do not fight during the day, they have a large coop with plenty of room.
Perhaps my rooster has decided he would prefer to sleep alone.

Quote:
I have searched for this with Google can't seem to find this trap you are referring to. Could you kindly post the link to the video? Think I found something that maybe similar using beer can.

Tonight I have seperated the hen, so I will check it in the morning.
As for the mouse trap, you can use a plastic bottle or a can.
I use the bottle because it has a groove in it to place the peanut butter.

Back
Top Bottom