Something is attacking my Isa Brown hens at night

OP, I'm just seeing this but wish I somehow could have known after your very first loss. I don't know how many birds you had but when it appears a pred is afoot, the best is to immediately and temporarily relocate the birds if possible (garage, basement, whatever) till the coop is secured. And/or keep vigil in the coop to see what the story is and to prevent further deaths. To lose one after another is just so dreadful for you, for the poor birds especially. You said you're down to just 2 birds - maybe the roo has gone cuckoo but please get both of them out of there till you're sure.

The best solution I've found for rodents is making the coop rat proof - it is the only lasting solution. Keeping food unavailable at night also helps a great deal. Mouse Magic from Bonide may help with mice - it is a nontoxic repellent. I have never had to kill a mouse or rat.

JJ

Hi Guy's

This is really getting weird now, I seperated the hen last night into my shed.
In the morning there was blood everywhere drips on the floor and her head was covered in blood.
I checked her out expecting to find a large wound, no wound in sight infact it seems like she is bleeding from her feathers.
I pulled out feathers from the affected area, no wound underneath.
I doupt she will survive the blood loss for another night.
Do you think she may be doing this herself ?
Has anyone heard of bleeding from feathers or quills ?
I think I will be shopping for some new Isa Brown hens soon, after I figure out what this is.

What specifically has their diet been?

Lots of good protein will help her. Mealworms. Can also give her black oil sunflower seeds. 3 drops Polyvisol liquid children's vitamins daily, administered gently drop by drop along her beak line with dropper, so she swallows on her own and doesn't choke.

Have you checked the birds for external parasites?

JJ

Another simple barrel trap uses a open top barrel. Drill 2 holes in the lip thru opposite sides of the opening. Run a piece of hanger wire across the opening and secured thru the holes. Hang a bait off the wire in the middle of the barrel's opening. Lay a ramp or two from the ground up to the lip of the barrel and fill the barrel about half full of water.

The rat will run up the ramp and try to reach the bait. not being able to hold on to the wire, they will fall into the barrel and drown.

Simply, easy, no poison and you don't have to touch the rats. Win Win Win

Lost her last night, down to one lonely rooster now.
JJ, diet has been layers pellets, but they are free range, out all day eating plenty of insects and grass / weeds.
Blood was always comming from under the wing on the body, it appeared to be bleeding from the top of the quill where the feather starts to spread, then running down the feather and dripping onto the floor.
I have had these chickens for several years, always healthy and laying plenty of eggs.
I have never heard of this problem before.
Back to the drawing board.

That is so freaky weird. So are they basically bleeding to death? Could there be something that could cause some sort of vitamin K deficiency. It would be worth it if you could get them analyzed to see if they could figure out the cause of death. I would worry about getting more without knowing. I am so sorry and I hope you figure this out.
sharon

Hi Sharron,
Yes I believe they are bleeding to death over a few day's. Maybe a parrasite living in the quill, I really have no idea.
Now I am wondering why my rooster has not been affected, or if he will be next.

Marty

Back
Top Bottom