1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Something is eating my eggs!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Gossie, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Gossie

Gossie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    I have 21 hens that range from 22 weeks to 2 years old. I have not gotten an egg in 5 days! I just thought my chickens were slacking until I found some weird feces in the nesting boxes. It was long and skinny with a white tip. I'm wondering what kind of animal is eating my eggs.

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy Gossie as gross as it sounds, a picture of the poop might help identify the culprit.

I do know that snake and lizard poop has a white tip as, like chickens, they incorporate urine with the bowel movement.

Unfortunately your profile does not mention where you are located and I wonder if you have snakes or lizards where you are.

3. Gossie

Jun 14, 2015
    I'll try and get a picture tomorrow. We do have snakes in our area, but I've never seen a lizard. Hopefully, tomorrow's picture will help identify the culprit.

4. Gossie

Jun 14, 2015
    I am having troubles uploading the picture to my computer. I'll try and get the picture up tomorrow.

5. RanchDreams

RanchDreams New Egg

Oct 23, 2015
    Long Beach CA
    Sounds like reptile poo to me too.

6. I had something eating my eggs too. Then my wife went out to get eggs one day and saw this...[​IMG]

When I got home I found him in a dresser drawer that is in the barn....
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by