Something is killing chickens

ChrisPChicken

Hatching
Apr 23, 2019
Okay, so, I'm sure you actually get this thread a lot from first time posters. I'll apologize in advance for being repetitive I'm sure.

I had about 30 birds. 1000 sq/ft run ish, 5000 sq/ft secondary run attached (during growing season it is a garden, chickens are allowed in about half the year or at select times).

Completely sealed (or so I thought) coop with an automatic chicken door.

Chickens are happy healthy and making great eggs with bright orange yolks and being murdered.

First time I kept finding one dead chicken in the coop at night, considering it was locked I thought okay, it was probably fighting, maybe too crowded. So I added more roosts, and I went out and checked one night and they had plenty of room. Then I read about weasels, and I built weasel boxes, and put out some rat traps under the coop. I caught 1 rat with a trap under the coop. The killing stopped. I read that rats actually kill chickens. I would have never thought it, I had three roosters originally (one was one of the first victims), I thought the roosters would fight them off.

The weasel boxes never caught a thing, sometimes I'd find them tossed around the run like a coon wanted to get in them, always I'd find the bait gone and the trap sprung and no dead animal inside. But after I killed the one rat the killing stopped. I bought some supplies to fence in the coop more (the eaves were open up top, there were some small gaps, nothing big enough for a coon or opossum or something, but I didn't know about weasels and rats). But no more deaths and I sort of procrastinated. Two months pass, no deaths, and then now they've started again.

I've lost 5 chickens the last two days including my two remaining roosters, I'm down to like 9 birds. I've put sticky traps under the coop, got nothing. I've done weasel boxes again and again, got nothing. I've used a havahart trap with a jar of peanut butter in it and I wake up and the jar is gone but the trap isn't even sprung. I put out a rat bait station under the coop, I find it strewn across the run in the morning, no bait eaten. Three dead birds.

I tossed some rat poison in a sandwich baggie filled with peanut butter under the coop, I think it was eaten. I put some rat poison in a tupperware with peanut butter outside the run, that got eaten. I know you're not supposed to try to poison other things, but eff it, I'm tired of losing birds. We've also potentially lost 3 outdoor cats (they may have run off, not sure).

So here is the thing. I see coon poop, and tracks, and obviously they're tossing the weasel traps about and the rat bait station about but there is no way they got into the coop, no way, unless they did it before the door was closed at night. But the chickens are barely eaten, just the necks gnawed on. The metal feed container had its lid off several times, a five gallon bucket of feed was destroyed. I put a cement block on the metal container, and the next night I lost two birds, the next night I lost 3. I feel like the animal was pissed it couldn't get into the feed container, but what animal was it?

So after I lost the two I spent 6 hours outside reinforcing the coop, every last little gap and crack I sealed or covered with 1/2" hardware cloth. A small mouse could get in, maybe, but nothing larger, and yet, the next morning I had three dead birds. I looked all over outside, I see no way anything could have gotten in... unless again it was right before dusk. The door didn't close soon enough. I was out planting in the garden around 7:30 and heard some noise but I thought it was just chickens getting up on the roost, maybe it was a rodent? IDK.

How likely is it that it is a rat? How do I stop them? I'm putting all the rat poison out. All of it. I'm going to go out with a chair and a shotgun tonight. I'm going to build a cage for the feeder with a second automatic chicken door on it (not tonight, in the next week or so)...and I'm ordering more chicks because I'm going to need them if I lose any more. 30 was too many but I knew I'd have some losses, this has gotten out of control though.

The runs themselves are fenced in at 8' tall, not that it matters because things can climb. I am thinking about running a single electrified wire at the top. I never thought I would have to protect my chickens from things so much smaller than them. What if I used glue in the weasel box? What about a self resetting drowning rat trap? I'm thinking about pouring concrete under the coop to cut down on potential rodent habitat.

Trail cameras too, of course the memory card will get filled with chicken pictures. I'm very frustrated.

Is it normal that rats would be this aggressive, and if not what else could it be? The rat traps aren't catching things (though I know there is at least one rat because I saw it) and the only main animal sign is raccoons, but the chickens were not fully eaten and a raccoon definitely did not get inside the coop.

So tonight, more random pb poison, pb poison in the weasel boxes, pb poison under the coop, pb poison outside the run, livecatch trap set again (probably won't catch a damn thing again), and a man with a shotgun.

It sounds like the predators have figured out the auto door. I'd get rid of that and shut them in shortly after they go to roost of an evening. Also trail cameras outside would be good, just only turn them on after you shut the chickens in the coop. Point a camera at your feed barrel and at the coop door. Also I would purchase a larger live trap "racoon size" and set it and see what you get. Marshmallows work great for bait.

I think my poisoning protocol is pretty safe for non target wildlife. I only put it out at night, we don't have outdoor pets anymore. It is always sealed away in something or behind a fence. I could see a squirrel maybe getting into it but I have a lot of squirrels. Dozens and dozens, and they aren't really nocturnal.
It's not just that you are keeping the poison from being eaten directly, but if you are using an anticoagulant poison, the most common type, then other secondary animals can be poisoned by eating whatever it is you are poisoning directly. Not to mention if you have your poison just out you could be poisoning anything, including animals that may be protected from killing by poison. It seems very irresponsible to just broadcast poison or leave it in bags with peanut butter. You need to get a rodenticide box to keep other animals besides rats and mice out. This is actually a federal regulation. There is a huge problem with this around illegal cannabis grows in my area. The rodenticide works its way up the food chain and kills all kinds of scavenger animals and even makes its way into game animals, which means people could end up consuming it as well.

It's not just that you are keeping the poison from being eaten directly, but if you are using an anticoagulant poison, the most common type, then other secondary animals can be poisoned by eating whatever it is you are poisoning directly. Not to mention if you have your poison just out you could be poisoning anything, including animals that may be protected from killing by poison. It seems very irresponsible to just broadcast poison or leave it in bags with peanut butter. You need to get a rodenticide box to keep other animals besides rats and mice out. This is actually a federal regulation. There is a huge problem with this around illegal cannabis grows in my area. The rodenticide works its way up the food chain and kills all kinds of scavenger animals and even makes its way into game animals, which means people could end up consuming it as well.

Anything that eats squirrels, and let's face it, everything eats squirrels, will be poisoned if it eats poisoned squirrels.

First of all i am so sorry for your lost birds.
I would strongly recomend not putting out any more poison. You may poison things you would rather not, like your cats and chickens, neighbors dog and cat.
Bites on the neck, little eaten...thats a weasel. They can fit thru a hole you might think only a mouse can fit through. When you use a small hava heart trap, use bloody frezh meat, and Wire it to the pan so the weasel has to stay put and work at it. The larger havahearts have to large of wire mesh and weasel can ecape thu them. Test fire your trap severl time to make sure it is not hanging up ,and also that it LOCKS. If it does not lock the critter can push out. Place it on a flat surface. Put in Inside the oop since the racoons trash your efforts with these traps.
Put your medium size havhearts outside and again WIRE the bait securley to the pan. Some live traps have one door. If you have that kind WIRE it in the back end. These trPs are very efective when set up correctly.
I would also sugest you wear your insulated long undies and coverhauls because it is going to be cold tonight. Use #7and half shot which is a skeet load so you dont damage your coop.
Welcome to the backyard!
Below is the weasel i caught last fall.
20181020_075141.jpg

I think instead of torturing myself over what it might be and trying all these different traps and stuff, I'd install a game cam and find out for sure what it is.

I'm thinking raccoon, they are incredibly intelligent. But weasels/minks are more likely to surplus kill.

As far as secondary poisoning from my research it is possible but very rare because of the amount a rat needs for it to kill the rats is less than what it would take for a predators that feed on the rat and most rats will go down in their tunnels to die. I keep the rat bait boxes in my barn and check the baits regular. When the baits are still there in the bait boxes I guess that means no rats. If the baits need replacing I replace them which is rare now and the baits are rarely touched. New rats may move in but don't last long once they discover the bait.

It sounds to me like it might be both raccoon and weasel/rat. The feed raider is definitely a trash panda. The other two wouldn't be able to open a can or drag traps around. But the neck biting could be either weasel or rat. I lean toward rat because weasels tend to go on killing sprees rather than one bird at a time. And roosted chickens are daft as they come. Their night vision is terrible and even if the bird next to them is screaming bloody murder, they tend to just scooch over. When I cull birds I always do it at night because everyone is simple to catch. Rats and weasels may have the same thought.

No dead chickens last night. Yesterday I was again inspecting the coop trying to figure out how they are getting in and I thought.. you know... maybe they're pushing up the automatic door. It is just a sheet of metal, not too heavy. There is a lip inside where they wouldn't be able to get purchase to get back out (until morning) but from the outside they could have pushed up the bottom of the metal. So I added some wood and not the door recesses itself into a gap between two boards, no more pushing it up.

Weasel Box 1: Trap sprung, nothing caught, poisoned bait eaten.
Weasel Box 2: Trap sprung, nothing caught, poisoned bait not eaten.
Rat trap on back wall shelf of coop (I have a shelf on back of my coop for tools) with non poisoned PB: Sprung, pb eaten, nothing caught.
Bag of pb and poison under coop: Eaten
Tupperware of PB and poison outside of run: Missing (assumed eaten)
Raccoon Size Havahart: Sprung, bait still inside, tossed across yard.

Actually where I live (Chattanooga TN) it was mild last night. Stayed out until 9:45 watching. Saw one animal approach (coon or opossum) from outside the run but it scampered off when I flashlighted it, couldn't get a shot off. Saw no activity from rats under the coop.

I have a small havahart and an extra large one coming from Amazon since my large one keeps failing. I think maybe the raccoon is too fat.

I think my poisoning protocol is pretty safe for non target wildlife. I only put it out at night, we don't have outdoor pets anymore. It is always sealed away in something or behind a fence. I could see a squirrel maybe getting into it but I have a lot of squirrels. Dozens and dozens, and they aren't really nocturnal.

Back
Top Bottom