Something is wrong! WARNING: Graphic photos

thesechickens

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Something is seriously wrong with my Sultan. I was away for a week and came back to her like this.
Timeline:
Sunday- a friend visited with my housemate and was playing with the chickens. She loves the Sultans and would have noticed if something was wrong.
Wednesday- I returned in the evening and saw something was up in the dark but wasn't sure what and figured I'd check it out in the light the next day.
Thursday- I examined her and found it was way worse than I could have imagined. I wasn't sure what to do, I don't even know if she can still eat with a beak like that. She seemed to be able to drink though.
Friday- I decided I should isolate her from the other six chickens because I don't want this to spread (too late? I hope not.) She is more docile than usual and doesn't seem interested in anything. When I took these photos she flinched when I touched the part just near her tail. It looks to me like some sort of flesh eating bacteria. Also, she smells like she is rotting.

This is taken from the back angle. So the bottom is the tail and the left is the left side of the bird.

Changed the angle to give a better view, now the tail is to the right. This picture doesn't even do justice to what it looks like in person.

The left side is towards her head. This is a photo of under her wing.

Her beak is missing :-(

The bottom of her beak is about half way there and split, the top of pretty much gone.

This is a photo of our healthy Sultan for beak comparison.

I feel so bad for her and I have no idea how this could have happened. I can't imagine her living through an attack from a raccoon or something, I mean, she is so docile that I think the raccoon would win hands down (and take her away for dinner). However, none of the other chickens have any symptoms similar so I'm confused as to what could have happened.
Any ideas as to what is going on?

For your sake, and the chickens, I hope a vet hops on this thread for you. It looks like a bacteria issue to me. I don't see this as a result of an attack. The face seems to be suffering badly. I've never seen anything like this on a chicken. Looks like the skin on the underneath is being eaten away. I have seen Coryza (I believe this is spelled wrong) on a quail farm in AZ that took out an entire flock. And this to me looks similar.

I wish someone with some experience can help you out here.

Wish you the best.

I have no idea what this is but I'm going to start researching now. I'm so sorry. I'll let you know if I find anything and hopefully someone will post that's experienced something similar.

you seriously need to take this bird to a vet. could it be at all possible that she was attacked by something and gang green set in. reason I'm asking is my cat had a neck wound that gang green set in and it looks very similar to her flesh. what the vet had to do was scrub off the dead tissue and run a drain and we give oral antibiotics and a spray. my cats neck is now black with scab like things like your chicken. when I saw this I showed this pictures to my husband and he said "looks like the gang green we have in our cat" if you can't get her to the vet you MUST start her on antibiotic ASAP then clean the areas really good. spray with peroxide clean it well. keep her warm. honestly she really needs to go to vet. but if you can't do what is suggested.I really think she was attacked. it looks this way to me. good luck. God bless her I've never seen a bird lose there beak. I'm so so sorry this happened. you will likely have to tube her to eat. poor dear. its very strange but very much looks like a infected attack turned gang green thus the smell. my cat smelled the same way... I do pray she can heal some how. your in my thoughts and again I'm so sorry

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom