What is wrong with my hen?

Critterlover7

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2021
One of my hens started acting different Saturday, almost like she wasn't feeling good but nothing too major I thought maybe she just ate something that didn't agree with her but I came home from work tonight and she is so different now than she was Saturday. I've attached a video of her, if someone knows what is wrong with her I would greatly appreciate your help. I don't want her to suffer.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12720we5Fd1MfKrXvLmLilVlLjBUUnkAM/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
Have you checked her over? Look in her ears for infection, make sure she doesn't have mites, check in her mouth for any lesions, check for worms, etc.

You'll probably have to upload your video somewhere else and link it here.
Chickens are prey animals and hide their illnesses. So if a chicken is acting off it can no longer hide that it isn't feeling well and may be more sick than you think.

You'll probably have to upload your video somewhere else and link it here.
Chickens are prey animals and hide their illnesses. So if a chicken is acting off it can no longer hide that it isn't feeling well and may be more sick than you think.
Do you think it'll work if I upload it to Google drive then copy the link here?

Yes, I've checked her over and cannot see anything outwardly wrong with her.
You're sure no worms? I'd start giving her scrambled eggs and plain yogurt to eat. Also give her electrolyte water as an energy boost. I like to give my chickens colloidal silver when they're sick and it works miracles. It's expensive, but in my opinion well worth it.

You're sure no worms? I'd start giving her scrambled eggs and plain yogurt to eat. Also give her electrolyte water as an energy boost. I like to give my chickens colloidal silver when they're sick and it works miracles. It's expensive, but in my opinion well worth it.
No, no worms. I don't know if she is eating either I haven't been able to observe her much yet

Ok, I've put a link in my original post and it works for me. Let me know if you are able to see it, if you feel up to it please.
I can see the video. It looks like something neurological, possibly wry neck. Do you have Rooster Booster Poultry Cell?

Also, what do you feed, including treats and how often?

She is having some neurological problems with the neck movements. Is she also having some mucus issue in her beak? It almost looks like she is swallowing mucus with the beak movements. How does her crop feel? Can you check it first thing in the morning to see if it is empty? I would recommend some human vitamin E 400 IU and 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex daily for a couple of weeks to see if that helps her symptoms. She looks to be molting, and that can be a common time for an illness to show up.

Back
Top Bottom