What is wrong with my hen?

She is having some neurological problems with the neck movements. Is she also having some mucus issue in her beak? It almost looks like she is swallowing mucus with the beak movements. How does her crop feel? Can you check it first thing in the morning to see if it is empty? I would recommend some human vitamin E 400 IU and 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex daily for a couple of weeks to see if that helps her symptoms. She looks to be molting, and that can be a common time for an illness to show up.
I saw no signs of mucus and I saw the other chickens picking on her tonight when I put them in the coop and suspect they are the reason she is missing feathers as she was not missing that many Saturday when I first noticed her not feeling well.
I can see the video. It looks like something neurological, possibly wry neck. Do you have Rooster Booster Poultry Cell?

Also, what do you feed, including treats and how often?
No, I don't honestly I've never even heard of that.

My chickens get cracked corn when they are in the coop and I let them out every day to run around the yard while they're out they eat anything and everything bugs, grass, plants, feed under the other critters cages, and they scratch through the cows manure and eat the scraps I give to the hogs as well.

My chickens get cracked corn when they are in the coop and I let them out every day to run around the yard while they're out they eat anything and everything bugs, grass, plants, feed under the other critters cages, and they scratch through the cows manure and eat the scraps I give to the hogs as well.
So no balanced feed made specifically for chickens such as layer feed or all flock feed? Are you able to go get Poultry Cell (Tractor Supply sells it, if you are in the US) or a vitamin E & B supplements as @Eggcessive suggested?

Last edited:
Looks like dirt floor to me.
It's not a dirty floor, that's a brand new coop with about a foot of sand for the floor they've only been in there for a few months it's not even been a year. I keep all my animals cages and rooms clean, I be sure to do it at least once a week. As for the water, they get fresh clean water every single day.

It's not a dirty floor, that's a brand new coop with about a foot of sand for the floor they've only been in there for a few months it's not even been a year. I keep all my animals cages and rooms clean, I be sure to do it at least once a week. As for the water, they get fresh clean water every single day.
Yes, I said dirt floor not dirty floor. It looks fine to me.

So no balanced feed made specifically for chickens such as layer feed or all flock feed? Are you able to go get Poultry Cell (Tractor Supply sells it, if you are in the US) or a vitamin E supplement as @Eggcessive suggested?
They do get layer feed as well. The poultry cell I don't know about I've never actually heard of it until now so I don't know I would have to check on that. As I've said before in another post I don't know if it was to you or not but I have not been able to observe her too closely yet as I have a daytime job and only just noticed how bad she was last night the past two days I noticed her not feeling good she wasn't doing that she just looked like she wasn't feeling good like she ate something bad last night is the first sign she showed that her head shaking and stuff from what I have noticed I haven't seen her eating or drinking but when I have a chance I will try to observe and see if she is so I can see if I can give her some medicine in her water.

Yes, I said dirt floor not dirty floor. It looks fine to me.
Yes, I caught your comment. I was replying to the comment before that you replied to I didn't realize my comment would be connected to yours though. I was just trying to explain to the person that said it looked like a dirty floor that it wasn't. I'm very particular about my animals and I try to give them the best care I can.

They do get layer feed as well. The poultry cell I don't know about I've never actually heard of it until now so I don't know I would have to check on that. As I've said before in another post I don't know if it was to you or not but I have not been able to observe her too closely yet as I have a daytime job and only just noticed how bad she was last night the past two days I noticed her not feeling good she wasn't doing that she just looked like she wasn't feeling good like she ate something bad last night is the first sign she showed that her head shaking and stuff from what I have noticed I haven't seen her eating or drinking but when I have a chance I will try to observe and see if she is so I can see if I can give her some medicine in her water.
It's best to give the vitamins directly instead of in the water so you know they're getting the full dose. It's not too hard to get them to swallow pills.

Back
Top Bottom