Something is wrong with my newly hatched chick

tifaus

Chirping
Jun 28, 2017
Bunnell, Fl
Hello,
This baby hatched sometime today. When we went out to check, the baby was out of the egg and laying in front of my hen. It has not opened its eyes and is still in the "smashed in a egg" position. It has not gotten up and is still breathing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20190908_130939.jpg
    20190908_130939.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 14
Did you find the egg shell? Was there any blood? It is possible the chick got pulled out of the egg by the mother and it is not quite ready... But it is more likely based on your photo (because I cannot see any trailing umbilical material or unabsorbed yolk) that it hatched on its own and has somehow strayed from under the mother and got chilled.

This soon after a normal hatch the chick will be very tired and will often just sleep while it dries and fluffs up. It will need the right temperature (95-99F until it is dried then 95F) and time to rest. You could try just slipping it back under the hen or you could keep an eye on it indoors for a few hours before trying to put it back. You could also try to very gently dip its beak in sugar water or electrolyte water so that it drinks a drop or two to boost its energy levels.

Did you find the egg shell? Was there any blood? It is possible the chick got pulled out of the egg by the mother and it is not quite ready... But it is more likely based on your photo (because I cannot see any trailing umbilical material or unabsorbed yolk) that it hatched on its own and has somehow strayed from under the mother and got chilled.

This soon after a normal hatch the chick will be very tired and will often just sleep while it dries and fluffs up. It will need the right temperature (95-99F until it is dried then 95F) and time to rest. You could try just slipping it back under the hen or you could keep an eye on it indoors for a few hours before trying to put it back. You could also try to very gently dip its beak in sugar water or electrolyte water so that it drinks a drop or two to boost its energy levels.

We put it under a heat lamp right now. No blood or anything like that when we found it. It did take some water so that's promising. It has moved around some so we're just keeping an eye on it right now to see what happens. Thank you for replying!

My guess is you caught it not long after hatch and wiggled out from under mama, It takes a lot of energy to hatch some chicks take more than an hour after hatch to start moving and getting on their feet. Give it time it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom