1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Something is wrong with my silkies neck!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kagedgoddess, May 29, 2011.

1. kagedgoddess

kagedgoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    virginia
    I cant post a pic! I will upload it to my FB, link in sig line. It looks like her neck is broken! She cant lift her head upright she keeps putting it under her belly and almost standing on it she is making a funny noise. Idk. Please advice! Help! Gosh darn it. Im gonna bring her in the house tonight.

2. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    In the absence of injury, it sounds like wry neck. This could be a genetic issue or a vitamin deficiency. Try giving Polyvisol without iron (get it at the pharmacy - it's an infant vitamin drop) and get the liquid vitamin E pills with sellenium that you can pop and drop into some water for her. The vitamins probably won't help if it is genetic, but should help if it is caused by deficiency.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  3. kagedgoddess

kagedgoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    virginia
    Thank you thank you thank you. I will get that first thing in the morning! Now i can get some sleep! I was so worried! She wont die from it will she?

4. Anianna

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    As far as I know, chickens can survive wry neck so long as they are able to eat and drink. Some get a crooked neck so severe they are not able to eat or drink.

5. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Poor little critter, that looks terribly uncomfortable. I wish you the best of luck with her!

6. Ukmumbrood3

Ukmumbrood3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    White plains, Md
    I'm going through the same thing, infact someone else posted a thread today about it too. Silkies are prone to getting wry neck unfortunately [​IMG]

7. Anianna

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Quote:I've heard that. Have you had any success treating with vitamins?

8. Ukmumbrood3

Apr 28, 2011
    White plains, Md
    Nope none, it's been 2 weeks and I'm starting to think she will never lead a normal life [​IMG]

9. Anianna

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Quote:I am sorry to hear that. I have heard it is often a genetic condition in silkies. [​IMG]

The vitamins are still worth a try and, if I were you, I would just keep researching wry neck or crooked neck to see if something else to try comes up. There is a stickied link with good resources to check, like the Merck Veterinary Manual link.

10. Ukmumbrood3

Apr 28, 2011
    White plains, Md
    So I hear. To be honest I bought her 2 weeks ago and ever since I've had her she's been like this, of course the breeder has no idea, wasn't like that when she shipped it blah blah! I just don't get people sometimes [​IMG]
    I'm going to try abit longer, Thanks for the info, I'm always looking for new ideas especially if it helps somewhat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by