SOMETHING KILLED MY QUAIL

quailsssss

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2021
Hello, I have one male quail and HAD one female quail living happily inside a new, large cage that I built. The only way to get into the cage is to get through some "spikes" near the bottom of the cage. I woke up today because my male quail's crowing was extremely loud and frequent. I went to check the cage and there was blood and feathers everywhere. My family members cleaned everything up before I even knew about the incident and they're guessing that the female was sleeping on the side of the cage and some animal took hold of her and dragged her out through the spikes 😐. There's also a little bit of blood on my male and I can't imagine how traumatizing it must've been for him. He's being really loud and very scared of me, understandably. I actually had a dream about this exact thing happening last night, but I just shrugged it off. I didn't think it would actually happen 😥. Man.. raising quails has been a bad experience for me and I feel horrible for what happened to my female, also for my male because he's alone and traumatized now.

They are Japanese quail by the way...
Here is a video of them :(
The yellow one is the female that died and the brown one is the one that's still alive.
***There is a gap between the door because I didn't close the cage. It's not normally like that, I always make sure to close it before I go to bed.
I’m sorry for your loss. Quail are small and fragile and the gaps in your wire are too wide. Instead of that honeycomb wire, your best bet is to use 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I would also ring the cage with cinder blocks on the outside, so if they are laying against the wire, nothing can try to grab them because of the wall provided by the blocks, and also raccoons and other predators will try to slip their paws under the pvc frame.

Hello, I have one male quail and HAD one female quail living happily inside a new, large cage that I built. The only way to get into the cage is to get through some "spikes" near the bottom of the cage. I woke up today because my male quail's crowing was extremely loud and frequent. I went to check the cage and there was blood and feathers everywhere. My family members cleaned everything up before I even knew about the incident and they're guessing that the female was sleeping on the side of the cage and some animal took hold of her and dragged her out through the spikes 😐. There's also a little bit of blood on my male and I can't imagine how traumatizing it must've been for him. He's being really loud and very scared of me, understandably. I actually had a dream about this exact thing happening last night, but I just shrugged it off. I didn't think it would actually happen 😥. Man.. raising quails has been a bad experience for me and I feel horrible for what happened to my female, also for my male because he's alone and traumatized now.
same thing happened to me today

The yellow one is the female that died and the brown one is the one that's still alive.
***There is a gap between the door because I didn't close the cage. It's not normally like that, I always make sure to close it before I go to bed.
Chicken wire does NOTHING against predators. It keeps the birds in but it’s not going to get in the way of any other animal. Replace it with Hardwire cloth.

Attachments

• ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
    ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
    5.2 MB · Views: 34
I’m sorry for your loss. Quail are small and fragile and the gaps in your wire are too wide. Instead of that honeycomb wire, your best bet is to use 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I would also ring the cage with cinder blocks on the outside, so if they are laying against the wire, nothing can try to grab them because of the wall provided by the blocks, and also raccoons and other predators will try to slip their paws under the pvc frame.
Thank you.. I ended up giving my male quail back to the seller that I originally bought him from. He should be in a much safer environment now!

Back
Top Bottom