Something New?!!!

If you've got the parent stock, I say go for it. Not sure if you're simply wanting to replenish your own flock, or looking to sell birds. Being able to sell sex links is a great thing. It breaks my heart to see so many folks get Oops roosters, so being able to guarantee the gender of the birds would be a great selling point. Plus, folks love green eggs!

Thanks everyone

So tell me if this is right

If I cross a Black Araucana rooster with a Barred Plymouth Rock hen it will...

Lay 200-250 eggs a year
Lay a green egg
Be hardy
Turn out to be completely black
As I stated previously the PULLETS should be black Araucanas are seasonal layers and many lines go broody so your estimation of eggs is way to high. Crossing with a good production Barred Rock lines will help but not to the extent you seem to think.

As I stated previously the PULLETS should be black  Araucanas are seasonal layers and many lines go broody so your estimation of eggs is way to high.  Crossing with a good production Barred Rock lines will help but not to the extent you seem to think.  
He got the egg count from me. I have been breeding this cross for 5 years, so I know how many eggs my Araucana/Barred Rock pullets lay. They start laying when they are 26-28 weeks old and lay through their first winter, through the summer and into fall before they stop laying and molt. The barred rock hens are hatchery quality, so they are of course exceptional layers. None of my cross bred pullets have ever gone broody.

And if he is using a blue rooster, he has a chance of chicks that hatch with blue color genes.
This was already explained in post #14 Also if you are getting the great egg production you claim then good for you. I hope the original poster can get something good enough to satisfy them.

Last edited:
Hi everyone

If you know anything about the following chicken crosses please don't hesitate to reply!

Rhode Island Red rooster x Barred Plymouth Rock hen This is the most common cross for a Black sexlink.
Buff Orpington rooster x Barred Plymouth Rock hen This is also a black sexlink cross, I tried to PM you pics of these.
Black Araucana rooster x Barred Plymouth Rock hen This will be a green egg laying black sexlink cross. They should look more like the araucanas.

New Hampshire Red rooster x Rhode Island Red hen These will not be sexlinked and will look like just what you think they would, darker than a NHR and lighter then a RIR.
Cream Legbar rooster x Light Sussex hen There may be some red sexlinkage in this cross but it will be diluted by the barring and may not be obvious as chicks. Some may produce green eggs.
White Leghorn rooster x Rhode Island Red hen . White Legorns are dominant white so this would produce all white offpspring with a few black specks scattered on them. Eggs should be lighter since your are breeding from a white egg breed.

Some of the questions I'd like you to answer are...

How many eggs they lay? Theres no way to give you a definite count, all of the breeds you listed are known to to be great layers and hybrids or those breeds should be even better.
Colour of the egg they lay?
How big the egg is? Most eggs are generally clsoe to the same size, they will be proportionate too the parent breeds.
Sex linked?
Hardy?
Appearance of the chicken?

If anyone knows about any of the crosses above PLEASE reply.

Thanks Ian

Back
Top Bottom