1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Something pecked it's eye?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by somissemilyy, Jun 8, 2011.

1. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    I have 14 3 month old babies and 1 of them looks like she has hurt her eye in some sort of way.. I will have a video on here soon but I was just wanting to know what I should do.. I just noticed it this morning cause she was kinda isolating her self.

I will have a video of it ASAP. thanks for the help.

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have terramyacin eye creme I use on the other animals,I get it at the feed store. Other than that I dont know what is safe for eyes, Maybe rinse it with saline solution if you can.

3. somissemilyy

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Anyone else? The video is still trying to upload!! HELP! PLEASE! I want to help her out the best way I can.

4. somissemilyy

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
  5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The Terramycin ophthalmic hennyannie mentioned is the best approach. Years ago a vet told me it was OK to use Neosporin Ointment in eyes, too.

6. somissemilyy

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Should I just rub neosproin on her eye?

7. somissemilyy

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Anyone...? Please

8. somissemilyy

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    anyone else have some suggestions that i could do?

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I have had Neo/Poly/Dex recommended for chicken's eyes. Available through vets or on line (e.g. First State vet Supply). It's really important to use the right products in eyes.
    JJ

10. LoveMyChicklets

LoveMyChicklets Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Lapeer, MI
    I just had a chicken get it's eye either pecked out or so damaged by another chicken that the eye "died". I used a saline solution to wash the eye area and then used neosporin on the area around the eye that was swollen/infected and on what mess was protruding from the eye itself. I did this for 3 days and then the swelling went away and the goop was gone. He's not the one-eyed bandit and doing great again.

Hoping my recent experience helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by