Something peculiar

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dr.GarryTTucker, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Dr.GarryTTucker

Dr.GarryTTucker Songster

May 1, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    So starting two weeks ago I believe I have a hen start laying. First I started seeing yolkless egg. Then I had one extra egg being laid a day. Now for the past six days every other day for him and lays a soft shell egg in the middle of the night. I know it’s the middle of the night because I checked the coop after the first one at 9:30 in the evening. Every night before I go to bed I check the coop floor with a flashlight no eggs. When I wake up at 6 o’clock in the morning there’s a soft shell egg on the ground broken.

Is there something I’m missing? I have layer pellets being fed with a separate container for calcium.
    Oyster shell

Anyone have an idea? It seems like every other night the egg is being late between 9:30 PM and 6 AM.

2. ocap

ocap Crowing

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    some hens have problems when they are young, other hens have an egg factory that never works properly, hope for the former.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Soft shell eggs are common for new layers, they often slip out in places other than the nest and on the roost at night is a common 'other place'.
    So not really peculiar, but annoying for sure.

igorsMistress and MarilynHukill like this.
  4. Dr.GarryTTucker

Dr.GarryTTucker Songster

May 1, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    Thanks aart!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: