Something stole 11 of our chicks. Any ideas of what it could be?

Did you ever catch the culprit?

Same question from me! I just read through this whole thing I'm very curious as to see what the predator actually was?

The predator was a coon. It is in a previous post.
Not necessarily.

She caught that raccoon because she left the gate of the pen open and made it easy for any old creature to wander in. The real killer could have been something much smaller because it had to get through a small opening.

@All4Eggz , have you tried setting a smaller trap that could catch a rat or weasel, inside the pen with the door closed? (Same conditions as the nights with the losses?)

What about pointing the camera at the trap like you talked about?

How are your survivors doing?

Not necessarily.

She caught that raccoon because she left the gate of the pen open and made it easy for any old creature to wander in. The real killer could have been something much smaller because it had to get through a small opening.

@All4Eggz , have you tried setting a smaller trap that could catch a rat or weasel, inside the pen with the door closed? (Same conditions as the nights with the losses?)

What about pointing the camera at the trap like you talked about?

How are your survivors doing?
:oops:

Possums can squeeze through very small spaces as well, especially juveniles. They will eat chickens. The smaller possums will eat chicks and smaller birds, a large possum will eat a full grown full size hen.
People will tell you they are only after the eggs, however, my girls scream for Mom (even in the middle of the night if something spooks them) and I have caught a possum red handed with one of my hens in his mouth. The hen ended up being okay, the possum did not fair so well.
Don't discount possums yet.
We actually caught a possum a couple nights ago. We also killed it, and buried it.

UPDATE:

Sorry everyone for keeping you hanging, I was very busy these past few days.

We caught a racoon first, which we shot, and buried.
Then a couple nights ago, we caught a possum, which we shot, then buried.
My suspicion is still on a weasel, though.

To answer all comments about the trap size, the trap is quite small. The big racoon basically had its entire body throughout the whole cage. It couldn't turn around.
The cage is actually meant for smaller predators, like groundhogs.

Sadly, our cousin had to take back the cage a couple of days ago, because he had an issue with groundhogs in his garden. He caught 4 in one night!

When we get back the cage, we will keep trying.

Any idea of UNRESISTABLE bait for weasels/minks? My suspicion is still on them...

CAM UPDATE:

Nothing on the cams. We turn it on every night, and nothing after the racoon and possum.

Back
Top Bottom