something wrong with 1 month old chick, it is behaving like something stuck in it's throat! Need help

Where are you located in the world?

If I had a chick that was acting like that, I would treat for Coccidiosis.
Depending on where you live, you may need to ask your vet for meds. Look for Amprol/Amprolium, Coxoid, Toltrazuril or Sulfa Antibiotics.
May i ask what makes you draw the conclusion of Coccidiosis. I would like to know as well.
Thx

Your chick has eaten something toxic. I've seen this. It's not very likely this will turn out okay. But you can try to neutralize the toxin by giving activated charcoal. You need to be very aggressive with it, giving a little every hour all day. Use a syringe to get it into the crop. Do it like in this photo.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

Your chick has eaten something toxic. I've seen this. It's not very likely this will turn out okay. But you can try to neutralize the toxin by giving activated charcoal. You need to be very aggressive with it, giving a little every hour all day. Use a syringe to get it into the crop. Do it like in this photo.View attachment 2744864
Thanks for the reply. May i know how many crop does a chicken have ?
What is the hole in the middle ? and both left and right passage way are to crops ?
The only charcoal powder i have is for the big inline water filter that i purchased in big bag, but i don't think that can be send down the crop using syringe .. it is fine in size, but not that powdery fine.. should i use mortar and pestle ?
Thanks.

It is a bit like puffing feather while falling sleepy.

I am in Germany. Are you saying it has contacted with disease ? not clog or sort of thing ?

May i ask what makes you draw the conclusion of Coccidiosis. I would like to know as well.
Thx

My conclusion is your chick's behavior. I have only dealt with a mild case, but your video reminded me of an educational video I saw years ago.
Compare your chick videos and behavior to that of the Chick in the commercial video.
Could be wrong. It won't hurt to treat as poisoning nor as for Coccidiosis.
Coccidiosis is found in soil and in droppings, the protozoa can live in the intestines with little issues until there is an overload. Chick(en)s generally build resistance as they are exposed.

Of course it's just a suggestion. I'm not a vet nor an expert. If you have vet care that's the best thing for you.

Your Video:

Commercial Video - Note sick chick behavior begins at around the 2 minute mark. Note ruffled, unkempt appearance, beginnings of lethargy, etc.

No, ordinary charcoal won't work. You need activated charcoal for medicinal purposes.

A chicken has one crop, located on the right side of the chest. In the throat, on the far right side is the esophagus and it leads directly into the crop. The hole in the center is the airway or larynx. Anything you put into a chicken's throat must be kept clear of that hole or the chicken will choke, same as if you get something in your airway.

You need to go to the store where they sell people vitamins. You will find activated charcoal there. It comes in capsules. Break one open and mix it with water and syringe that charcoal and water mixture into the crop as shown in the photo. Adding a little sugar to the mix will help keep the chick from going into shock.

Too much time may have lapsed already to save this chick if it is indeed suffering from toxin ingestion. If it's something else, the chick might survive if you figure out what's wrong and can treat it.

Heat sickness is another possibility. The symptoms are very similar to toxin poisoning. If it's been very hot where you live, you might treat for dehydration and hyperthermia. To do that, give electrolytes containing sugar and cool the chick with cool compresses under the wings.

No, ordinary charcoal won't work. You need activated charcoal for medicinal purposes.

A chicken has one crop, located on the right side of the chest. In the throat, on the far right side is the esophagus and it leads directly into the crop. The hole in the center is the airway or larynx. Anything you put into a chicken's throat must be kept clear of that hole or the chicken will choke, same as if you get something in your airway.

You need to go to the store where they sell people vitamins. You will find activated charcoal there. It comes in capsules. Break one open and mix it with water and syringe that charcoal and water mixture into the crop as shown in the photo. Adding a little sugar to the mix will help keep the chick from going into shock.

Too much time may have lapsed already to save this chick if it is indeed suffering from toxin ingestion. If it's something else, the chick might survive if you figure out what's wrong and can treat it.

Heat sickness is another possibility. The symptoms are very similar to toxin poisoning. If it's been very hot where you live, you might treat for dehydration and hyperthermia. To do that, give electrolytes containing sugar and cool the chick with cool compresses under the wings.
Thank you for your super info.

The chick after a few hours of left alone and sleeping, it is surprisingly healthy and good again. . Don't ask me why how.. it is just fine, like normal.

Anyway, i am looking into the treatment for the coccidiosis .. I don't want to loose my pet bird to some common bug.
Hopefully by tomorrow it will still be good.

Thanks
Please feel free to provide more info regarding the issue. I will check back.

Thanks for all your help, appreciate it greatly.
Btw, if you have some tips or info on coccidiosis treatment , please share with me, as there are so many medication mentioned alone on this treat.. don't know which is good.

@BackToTheBeginning , I am happy to see you are getting help from some of our best Educators. You are in good hands now and if anyone can help you, they certainly can. I will be watching this thread to see how things turn out. I wish you and your hen all the best.
Thank you. You are being very helpful and friendly. May God blesses you.

Back
Top Bottom