Somethings not right...You're advice is appreciated.

Kieyamama

Songster
10 Years
Aug 23, 2009
NorCal
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Australorp, almost 6 moths old, not sure of her weight but she doesn't look thin or anything.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is puffed up and very sleepy.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Maybe 2 days

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No bleeding, no obvious injuries or trama

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No.

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Organic layer feed, occasional snacks(bread, small amount of kitchen scraps.), drinks fresh water and any water she finds in the yard(we've had a lot fo rain)

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
I have seen no abnormal poop.

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I gave her and the rest of the flock some plain yogurt this morning.

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat myself.

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Sorry-camera is broken.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
6x6 coop with 8 birds. Pine shavings and pellets as bedding, attached 96sq ft covered run.

I'd isolate her someplace warm so she doesn't have to spend energy just keeping warm. It will also help you to know if/how much she is eating/drinking. Has she been laying? Could she be egg bound? Have you given her a good going over for mites/lice?

You might also try giving her some scrambled eggs for a quick protien boost.

Good luck with her! Hopefully somone with more knowlege will respond soon.

No, she hasn't started laying yet.

I'm going to isolate her and give her a good looking over and some TLC.

Thank you for responding.

Well.....she is drinking plenty of water and she ate an entire scrambled egg in no time! She's acting perky in the house and hasn't done the "puffy-sleepy" thing since I brought her in.

I did notice though, that her comb and her face were a little more pale than the other birds.

My intuition tells me that something isn't quite right....

Anyone else have any suggestions. I do have some Corid on hand. Should I give her some?

I wouldn't use the Corid unless you really think she has cocci, and that doesn't sound likely given her age and symptoms.

At six months and with the days starting to get longer she may be getting ready to lay. I'd feel around for a stuck egg, but I think it's more likely that she's just acting a little off because she's not sure what is going on with her body. I had a few pullets get all hormonal and goofy a few days before they started laying. They don't all do it, but it's not uncommon so hopefully that is what is going on with your girl. You might want to keep her in for another day or two just to make sure though.

I don't think I can keep her in the house. She doesn't want to be in here!! LOL And I don't have a crate or anything to contain her.

I'll try and feel around for an egg...never done it before...

I sure hope she's just getting ready to start laying and feeling confused about the whole thing. Keep an eye on her and post anything new. My computer is down so I don't get email updates on threads I'm trying to follow right now, but I'll check back when I can. Thinking about you and your girl and hoping for the best!

Back
Top Bottom