Something's wrong with my goose

Im sorry but she isn't fat. Remember Im only saying this is what I did over a simular situation. She has some sort of inflammation. Can you try anti-Inflammatory's I know the ones the vet can get you come with a big price last year I asked for help and it was suggested I use naproxen "alive" (I was desperate) but didnt know how much to give. What I did is crush a 220MG tablet added 6cc's of water then used 6 1cc syringes to suck it back up. gave me 6 doses 1 every 12 hours. She also got long soakes in the bathtub. Just a thought.

This is ascites. It is fluid buildup in the abdomen.

It can be caused by reproductive problems like internal laying, a tumor, kidney, liver, or heart failure, many of which could be due to an improper diet.

Excess fluid can be drained, but it isn’t a fix for the underlying issue and can sometimes do more harm than good if the bird isn’t used to being handled. The best you can do is put your geese on a better diet and keep her comfortable in her final days. I’m sorry.

Geese need more feed than ducks, and they have higher nutritional requirements than chickens, which is why they need a feed that is formulated for waterfowl or a mixed flock, typically called an all flock, flock maintenance, or flock raiser feed.

Protein percentages should be 20% to 22%, especially while growing, molting, or in cold weather.
Once they’re adults and if they aren’t molting they can do well on a 17% protein feed in the summer/warm months.
Laying females require more calcium and protein, so a layer feed is appropriate, or mixing one with a all flock, or by adding eggshells or oyster shells free choice if they’re only given an all flock type feed.
Non laying females, juveniles, and ganders do not need extra calcium so feeding them layer feed can cause health issues eventually.

I feed mine Purina flock raiser year round with oystershell available in a separate bowl if they want it. It makes it fairly easy to feed a mixed flock of ages, genders, and even species.

Modern goose breeds are far larger and require far more than their ancestors, wild grey geese are tiny compared to their domestic descendants, Chinese geese are closer in size to their wild ancestor the swan goose, but even they are larger and need more feed. A wild goose could possibly survive on what a domestic duck is fed, as long as they can also find a source of calcium when laying, or algae for various vitamins, including the Bs, but domestic geese just are too big for that.

Geese need more feed than ducks, and they have higher nutritional requirements than chickens, which is why they need a feed that is formulated for waterfowl or a mixed flock, typically called an all flock, flock maintenance, or flock raiser feed.

Protein percentages should be 20% to 22%, especially while growing, molting, or in cold weather.
Once they’re adults and if they aren’t molting they can do well on a 17% protein feed in the summer/warm months.
Laying females require more calcium and protein, so a layer feed is appropriate, or mixing one with a all flock, or by adding eggshells or oyster shells free choice if they’re only given an all flock type feed.
Non laying females, juveniles, and ganders do not need extra calcium so feeding them layer feed can cause health issues eventually.

I feed mine Purina flock raiser year round with oystershell available in a separate bowl if they want it. It makes it fairly easy to feed a mixed flock of ages, genders, and even species.

Modern goose breeds are far larger and require far more than their ancestors, wild grey geese are tiny compared to their domestic descendants, Chinese geese are closer in size to their wild ancestor the swan goose, but even they are larger and need more feed. A wild goose could possibly survive on what a domestic duck is fed, as long as they can also find a source of calcium when laying, or algae for various vitamins, including the Bs, but domestic geese just are too big for that.
Yes are larger, except there were giant geese in prehistory.

Yes are larger, except there were giant geese in prehistory.
Yes, but they aren’t descendants of Anser Anser or Anser cygnoides. Many goose relatives were very very distantly related and had far different diets than domestic geese or their direct wild ancestors. Genyornis likely ate fruit like modern cassowaries, probably nuts too, and the giant Mediterranean swan like the other megafauna of the Pleistocene went extinct because of climate changes that depleted their food sources, by increased competition from smaller relatives with much lower energy demands, and by pressure from new predators “us.”
Feral geese could survive with abundant grazing from high energy and protein rich food sources “feeding off of grain fields and ponds,” but in current wild environments that vary drastically it just isn’t possible to sustain that large body, over generations along with all the other obstacles the wild offers. “If they manage to survive” they revert back to the smaller bodies of their close ancestors after several generations, which is what has happened to the feral goose population of New Zealand. If given enough time with less pressure from predators geese along with all birds will evolve to be larger with a metabolism and energy requirements to match it, hence the existence of the extinct south island goose of New Zealand.

As it is domestic geese are larger than their wild relations and have greater nutritional needs as a result.

Another factor that can contribute to evolving larger bodies is actually scarcity of food. Larger bodies, larger digestive systems in herbivores are more efficient at squeezing every last nutrient out of plant matter, it takes millions of years to develop, and domestic geese are still running on the wild goose body plan so they don’t have that kind of efficiency, and their diet is telling, they can’t survive on eating bark and twigs.

Back
Top Bottom