Somethings Wrong with my Roosters Leg?

BeckySK

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 25, 2016
Help... somethings wrong with my 3 year old Rhode Island Reds leg. He hasn’t been able to walk on it since may. He is eating & drinking fine & gets where he wants to go by hopping around on 1 foot now but very unstable. He usually lays on his side. does anyone know what this could be? I don’t believe it’s broken I don’t feel anything abnormal on his leg & it never looked different... please help..

First, wash the bottom of his foot and look for a scab. It could be Bumblefoot (search for that and you'll see examples and how to take care of it).

If he's holding it straight out from the hip and kind of dragging it, my guess would be it's dislocated at the hip. I do not know if you could fix that yourself, but from what I know of all dislocated hips like that, the longer it's out the worse the prognosis for simply popping it back in. Vets will do surgery that entails cutting off the round bit that fits into the joint, but not sure if you'll find one to do that on a chicken.

Nothing on the bottom of his foot. It’s not straight out to the side it’s down but sometimes carries it up & will at times if I pick at the nails will kind of move it but other than that that’s it... can he be lacking vitamin b?

Back
Top Bottom