Sometimes I think my questions are stupid but...

There is a dictionary in the FAQ section of BYC......

Molt/Moult: The process of replacing new feathers. Happens every autumn in chickens.

Brood: 1. A group of chicks, often hatched out together. 2. To care for chicks.

Brooder: A heated cage in which chicks live until they do not need the heat that a mother would normally give them.

Broody: A hen that wants to hatch out eggs.

Clutch: 1. A batch of eggs that are incubated together. 2. All the eggs layed by a hen on consecutive days before she skips a day and starts a new laying cycle.

no!..your questions are NOT stupid!...
smile.png
..i have asked them also!..plus some REALLY stupid ones!!..
roll.png
..thats what this site is for...us dummies needing advice....and these guys on here are really good..they will help you out...Wendy

Hey debiraymond, from my experience there is no such thing as a stupid question on a forum like this. Questions and the quest of knowledge about a subject are how these forums developed, So why not use them to learn the answers to all your questions (no matter how silly they may seem in your mind) Before long you will find yourself looking back and laughing about how naive you were in the beginning about raising chickens!

ASK AWAY!!!! :aww

Last edited:
There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people. Hey, wait... that doesn't sound quite right.

This website is famous for chicken jargon but also famous for tolerating all questions. If you do use the search function, make sure the search deely is set at "title only" and you're more likely to get fewer, but better hits.

Our only laying chicken (so far) is going into her nestors, flipping out the wooden decoy eggs, and getting broody on those. Sigh.

No question is ever stupid!! I've learned so much from other people asking questions on here.

If you want a good reference book about chickens there's a really good one out there called "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" by Gail Damerow. It's pretty complete.

Welcome to the wonderful (addicting) world of being a chicken parent!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
From what I heard they are not supposed to have their first molt until they are 18 months old, but some of my D'Uccles started molting before they were a year old. I don't know why they started molting so early; maybe the weird weather we've been having lately affected them.

Back
Top Bottom