Sometimes... on a quiet morning...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mandelyn, Sep 20, 2011.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I live in a REALLY noisy neighborhood, everything from the usual barking dogs and screaming kids to traffic, trains, helicopters, small airplanes, sirens, all kinds of stuff. It's an old neighborhood, so add a healthy population of crickets, cicadas, squirrels, fighting coons, stray cats, all that.

But sometimes, if you get up early enough, everything is quiet, peaceful. A lull in the noise that reminds you constantly where you are. But then you hear it, just once, a really loud, obnoxious...

QUACK

I swear, nominated spokesduck waits until she knows she will be heard. [​IMG] That one solitary quack.

2. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    haha... I've got one named quackers for a reason

3. Springthing

Springthing Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    SW Missouri
    hehehehe...well said. I don't mind the quacking, though. Actually, I get a kick out of it. Especially when they do that laughing quack..?.. know which one I mean?

*QUACK!**Quack!**Quack**quack**quackquackquack*.....

4. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Quote:I have one hen that does that also...but she does the QUACK, QUACK, QUACK! thing. Yes, Mocha, now everyone knows you are awake - and so is everyone else.

5. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    We live in a small town and its usually really noisy with traffic and etc. but if you get up around 5-5:30 you can hear that one special duck that likes to break the silence!

(When I say Special, I mean Noisy!) [​IMG]

6. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I have a Welsh Harlequin that I swear, says "WHAT?" instead of QUACK And.... just once. (After a series of the laughter quacking....) [​IMG]

7. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Quote:I LOVE this...and everytime my kids are here when my mallard female does this, I tell them I wish I had heard the joke, because it sounds like she is laughing. I LOVE it! She is one of my favorites.

I also love to hear just the one loud QUACK! I always wonder, "What the....."

8. RunnerWhisperer

RunnerWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

I love it! At first I was afraid that the neighbors would be irritated but so far so good. Now I think they are use to the duck noises so much they kinda blend in now as regular neighborhood noises.

9. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    We live in a rural area, so the animal noise is not uncommon. Besides, even six ducks can't compete with the neighbors peacock! Talk about noisy!
    [​IMG]

10. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    I am amazed at how much noise the girls make. Our first one turned out to be a drake and his deep quacking is actually calming. The Cayuga hen can honk like mad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by