Sometimes they are more on the ball than i think.

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
I got home from work a little earlier than usual, i went over to talk to the ducks for a bit before going inside, they were gabbling away at me and suddenly stopped almost all at once, and started looking, at first I thought down but then I realized up, with their heads collectively cocked to one side watching a hawk soaring quite high and a bit away. I suspect our red tail hawks are probably after much smaller prey than the ducks, we have abundant squirrels, chipmunks and mice, i feel like our 5-10 lb ducks amongst the trees are pretty large fir a red tail. Maybe i am wrong but i was pleased that at least they were paying attention to that kind of thing. ,

I got home from work a little earlier than usual, i went over to talk to the ducks for a bit before going inside, they were gabbling away at me and suddenly stopped almost all at once, and started looking, at first I thought down but then I realized up, with their heads collectively cocked to one side watching a hawk soaring quite high and a bit away. I suspect our red tail hawks are probably after much smaller prey than the ducks, we have abundant squirrels, chipmunks and mice, i feel like our 5-10 lb ducks amongst the trees are pretty large fir a red tail. Maybe i am wrong but i was pleased that at least they were paying attention to that kind of thing. ,
The hawks will go after the ducks but I wouldn’t worry much cause as you witnessed spotting hawks are ducks specialty. Just give them stuff they can all hide under and you should be good. They will seek shelter when they deem it necessary (if you have chickens I would worry more )

The hawks will go after the ducks but I wouldn’t worry much cause as you witnessed spotting hawks are ducks specialty. Just give them stuff they can all hide under and you should be good. They will seek shelter when they deem it necessary (if you have chickens I would worry more )
No chickens here, they are in a grove of maple trees, it isn't the most secure thing in the world but seems to cast its canopy over most of their area

My ducks are absolutely attuned to what seems like every passing hawk (or other bird or airplane) flying overhead. They are terrified of them and rightly so - the hawks have shown that they would snatch one up in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself.

My ducks are absolutely attuned to what seems like every passing hawk (or other bird or airplane) flying overhead. They are terrified of them and rightly so - the hawks have shown that they would snatch one up in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself.
Same, sometimes I see a single seagull or crow flying overhead and even that makes my girls run under their coop for safety

I have to agree with you and didn't realize myself how attentive ducks really are to their surroundings, especially in the sky. Too funny to watch all twelve ducks standing still and all tilting their heads to one side and look up as a plane or bird flies over. LOL

My guess is the term "Sitting Duck" is what throws most people off and funny enough that phrase originated from two and not four legged duck hunters. Ducks also have the ability to shut half their brain down and sleep with one eye open to help protect them from a predator attack.

I still worry when our ducks and chickens are out free ranging and have no overhead protection. Hawks are no joke and it only takes them a split second to drop out of the sky and nail a bird. :(

https://www.theidioms.com/sitting-d...e originated from the,to target and kill them.

I have seen all our ducks go running and quacking for their coop and those silly chickens are still out in the yard scratching around and clueless!

We are also surrounded with tall pine trees and huge oak trees with a large number of small gray Squirrels. At any given time I can look around and almost always count 10-12 squirrels, either on the ground looking for nuts or in the trees.

Mr. Hawk on a number of occasions I have spotted him sitting up in other trees off a distance watching the squirrels, not to mention our poultry out running around free ranging. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom