somewhat broody muscovy **UPDATE

jdywntr

Songster
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
Somerville, AL
So one of my girls started laying in mid-september but then stopped after a week or so. She started laying again and I left the eggs with her. I removed 5 eggs a few days ago since they were covered in poop but there were 12 more. There is a little bit of down that has been added to the nest over the last few days. For the past 3 nights, she has been sitting on the nest at night but makes a beeline for the door in the morning. Last night I watched as they settled for the night and she went right into her nest and gave chirped warnings to the other girls to stay away. I am hoping that she will go broody and set on them but I'm worried that its so late in the year.

Thoughts?

So one of my girls started laying in mid-september but then stopped after a week or so. She started laying again and I left the eggs with her. I removed 5 eggs a few days ago since they were covered in poop but there were 12 more. There is a little bit of down that has been added to the nest over the last few days. For the past 3 nights, she has been sitting on the nest at night but makes a beeline for the door in the morning. Last night I watched as they settled for the night and she went right into her nest and gave chirped warnings to the other girls to stay away. I am hoping that she will go broody and set on them but I'm worried that its so late in the year.

Thoughts?
Sounds to me that you have a broody in the making, she is doing all the classic broody moves. I don't know how cold it gets in AL. but mama should be able to keep the lil ones warm enough as long as she doesn't have too many.

Thanks Miss Lydia. I'm hoping she sets. It is going to get into the low-mid 30's overnight in a few days. Generally, it doesn't get that cold at night until November. (I think) Temps are varying alot though from the 50's-low 80's during the day.
There are now 17 eggs in there, I counted today. I don't know if I want to take any away since I don't know if she has decided that she wants to sit on alot of eggs and since I took some she is still laying. I don't think any of the other girls are laying.
fl.gif

Thanks Miss Lydia. I'm hoping she sets. It is going to get into the low-mid 30's overnight in a few days. Generally, it doesn't get that cold at night until November. (I think) Temps are varying alot though from the 50's-low 80's during the day.
There are now 17 eggs in there, I counted today. I don't know if I want to take any away since I don't know if she has decided that she wants to sit on alot of eggs and since I took some she is still laying. I don't think any of the other girls are laying.
fl.gif
I usually wait till they stop laying then remove the oldest eggs. depending on how many you want her to sit on. Have you been marking them?

So, went out to check on the nest and found another of the girls had made a nest and laid an egg. I'm not sure what they are thinking this late in the year but I hope one of them if not both go broody. If so, maybe I will move some eggs from one nest to the other.

So, went out to check on the nest and found another of the girls had made a nest and laid an egg. I'm not sure what they are thinking this late in the year but I hope one of them if not both go broody. If so, maybe I will move some eggs from one nest to the other.
O what a tangled web we weave. We're expecting heavy snow and temps into the 20-40 so i am happy my girls finally gave up. All the best to you and your girls always exciting when ducklings are coming.

Well she did not get off the nest this morning.
ya.gif
And she was not happy when I went and peered in at her. I don't know if it is because the temps really dropped or not but I'm going to periodically check on her today to see if she remains throughout the day or not. I have marked my calander (forgot to do that the first time) and will be counting the days. I really did not expect November ducklings. If all goes well and she remains on the nest, I am still going to prepare an area for mom and babies if the weather or the other birds present a problem.
fl.gif

Well she did not get off the nest this morning.
ya.gif
And she was not happy when I went and peered in at her. I don't know if it is because the temps really dropped or not but I'm going to periodically check on her today to see if she remains throughout the day or not. I have marked my calander (forgot to do that the first time) and will be counting the days. I really did not expect November ducklings. If all goes well and she remains on the nest, I am still going to prepare an area for mom and babies if the weather or the other birds present a problem.
fl.gif
Good idea to have a plan in place. Sounds like she has made up her mind now..

Back
Top Bottom