soo new, still dont have chickens:)

chickyvergins

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
Hello all!! So we've been thinking about getting a few chickens for eggs for a while. We live in the metro Phoenix area so want to make sure we get the correct breed for our high heat. Also, want to know a few thinks before we start to make sure we dont get in too far over our heads. Like- how much would 3-4 chickens eat per week? Are they super noisy (we live in a quiet neighborhood)? Thanks for any help!!

Well my chickens are sometimes noisy and they eat a lot but they can eat stuff from the yard to so don't over feed them and they poop a lot so beware of all those stinky poops and loose feathers
1f631.png

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Some chickens are super noisy and some are quieter. Also some bigger breeds will eat more than smaller breeds. Have a look in the Breeds section and see what our members say.

Greetings from Kansas, chickyvergins, and
welcome-byc.gif
! I agree with the above posts - some breeds, however, are small, thus eat less. Some are good at foraging if they have that option. I don't have a lot of experience with smaller breeds but in my experience, the two smaller breeds I have owned (leghorns and anconas) have also been the noisiest. Go figure. I'm sure there's a happy medium somewhere. Good luck to you in your search!

You sound exactly like me! I'm in Phoenix and plan on starting my coop this spring. Keep us updated on what you find!! I'm definitely interested if you can find a small,quiet, heat-tolerant breed lol.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone! i'm going to check out the local farmers market,etc to see what the locals can tell me:)

Back
Top Bottom