soo new, still dont have chickens:)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickyvergins, Nov 18, 2012.

1. chickyvergins

chickyvergins New Egg

Nov 18, 2012
    Hello all!! So we've been thinking about getting a few chickens for eggs for a while. We live in the metro Phoenix area so want to make sure we get the correct breed for our high heat. Also, want to know a few thinks before we start to make sure we dont get in too far over our heads. Like- how much would 3-4 chickens eat per week? Are they super noisy (we live in a quiet neighborhood)? Thanks for any help!!

2. Well my chickens are sometimes noisy and they eat a lot but they can eat stuff from the yard to so don't over feed them and they poop a lot so beware of all those stinky poops and loose feathers [​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Some chickens are super noisy and some are quieter. Also some bigger breeds will eat more than smaller breeds. Have a look in the Breeds section and see what our members say.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, chickyvergins, and [​IMG]! I agree with the above posts - some breeds, however, are small, thus eat less. Some are good at foraging if they have that option. I don't have a lot of experience with smaller breeds but in my experience, the two smaller breeds I have owned (leghorns and anconas) have also been the noisiest. Go figure. I'm sure there's a happy medium somewhere. Good luck to you in your search!

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. chickens12

chickens12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. Mootworm

Mootworm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    You sound exactly like me! I'm in Phoenix and plan on starting my coop this spring. Keep us updated on what you find!! I'm definitely interested if you can find a small,quiet, heat-tolerant breed lol.

9. chickyvergins

chickyvergins New Egg

Nov 18, 2012
    Thanks for the welcomes everyone! i'm going to check out the local farmers market,etc to see what the locals can tell me:)

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by