soooo cooold!

dichotomymom

Songster
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Dayton Indiana
I have been so nervous about my girls the last two nights. We're in IN and it was 40 below last night with the wind chill. I even put in two new bags of litter to their house (where they go to escape the cold) and they wouldn't go near it. So anyway, I waited and waited this morning until sunup and sure enough, they were fine. This is one amazing bunch of hens.....I never lost a single one and they are awesome layers. Some of them are ameracaunas and some are easter eggers (all the same age). Anyone have a particular breed that you've had extra good luck with?

I've got red comets, silkies, and americaunas. They live in a small coop that I made from scrap wood, pallets, and a tarp from Wal-Mart.

Aside from their water freezing, they are just fine. Last night was one of the coldest on record in Central Kentucky for January. This morning when I went out to feed, they were running around just fine.

Main thing you want to do is get that wind off them. They'll huddle together and keep each other warm. You don't want them outside with freezing rain beating down on them and the wind, but inside a modest structure with each others body heat, they will be okay.

Consider the little birds of the outdoors. There always seem to be plenty of non-migratory birds in the frigid North.

yes true and amazing

i too am in northwest indiana -17 last night plus the wind chill. my ladies have a run that i enclosed with plastic plus there roosting area that is walled in
( you can check it out on my home page)
and low and behold the last three days i gotten 3 eggs a day...
for the last 5 weeks i been getting around 3 e very two days... sunlight is starting to help
i use no lights and dont heat the water, i just check thewater twice a day.

what i do know that mine sure love canned tuna or canned salmon.
i give my 6 ladies a 1/2 can of salmon or a can of tuna on the clodest days or every few days when its milder. they sure love it and it has a bunch of protein to keep them warm.

I made several runs to the coop today to give the biddys and boys a fresh drink of water. We were only around 14 last night and in the twentys today(did I say only!) . I figure the girls need lots of drinks to keep up the laying. They seem to be doing fine although a bit ruffeled up.They are hardy little souls. Mine are EE bantams.

Back
Top Bottom