SOOOOO disappointed!!!!!!!

You have to remember that meat purchased in the store is aged at least a couple days before it hits the shelves.

You just didn't age your birds, so the meat was a bit tough. That's all. No worries.

Just age the next few ones at least a day, some of us age for almost a week, before you cook and eat.

-Kim

Somethings else - home grown meat won't have the same texture as commercial chicken. Those chickens are injected with saline to plump them up. They are quite a few days old when they hit your local market and have been nasting in their own special chemical brine. Your home grown chickens will have a heartier texture and the flesh won't be mushy soft. It may take you a bit to get used the difference in the meat. You have to actually chew your own meat - that is the way it is supposed to be.

Quote:
What she said.

The issue is that every chicken you had ever eaten up to this point wasn't chicken. You've just sampled chicken like your parents ate.

I simply love the firmer texture and stringier meat. I rejoice in it. It means your bird actually got exercise and was allowed some form of a life prior to being dispatched. You will grow to love it and find everything at the grocery store insipid, wet and mushy.

Also, if you fried them too soon after the slaughter, you're eating rigor mortis. That's why people say to wait a 24 hour period minimum.

What I found that if I have to cook a freshly killed chicken ,duck goose or turkey I use my plug in roaster and slow cook it at 200 for as long as it needs it. The meat is tender and really good. I usually use a little bit of seasoning and some sort of broth or juice ( beer) and just let that baby cook. I did a turkey like that over the 4th of july weekend. She had broken a leg and it was a suprise butcher day
smile.png
We ended up with pulled turkey sandwichs
and the next day I made BBQ pulled turkey Yummy!!!!! The texture was diffrent not mushy a bit stringy but oohhhhh sooooo good!!!!
Allie

I wish I had two months to raise another set of meat birds before I start school again. I let mine rest in the fridge for a few days up to a week and then marinate overnight with honey, hoysin sauce, brown sugar, bbq sauce, olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and a dash of sesame oil. It's sugary sweet and not very salty at all. Instead of hardened arteries, I'll end up diabetes.
tongue.png

Hehe, perhaps I could do that if I managed to get my rear out the door early enough between WA and OR. As is... I usually end doing the 170mile trip in 4.5 hours just to make it to my destination by midnight!

LOL. I should order birds and make my little brother take care of them till I come back home and butcher them!

Back
Top Bottom