Sores on ducks feet

Corinne23

Songster
Aug 5, 2021
My khaki campbells have these weird sores on their paws what are they? I am worried what do I do?

Attachments

• 46AC5C89-95DD-444B-B392-CFC71DE450D2.jpeg
    46AC5C89-95DD-444B-B392-CFC71DE450D2.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 39B749AD-DC1E-4268-BB92-696CD0278646.jpeg
    39B749AD-DC1E-4268-BB92-696CD0278646.jpeg
    431.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 97DD9F73-5078-4FD0-B6D0-AD59BE4D8C02.jpeg
    97DD9F73-5078-4FD0-B6D0-AD59BE4D8C02.jpeg
    463.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 071CB055-0919-4DA3-91F3-6DC235F3424C.jpeg
    071CB055-0919-4DA3-91F3-6DC235F3424C.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 7
It looks like starting of bumble foot which is infection. They aren't full scale bumble so start soaking their feet in Epsom salt water and using a drawing salve on each bumble. Wrap their feet to keep the salve on and check every few days to see how it is working soak and use the drawing salve hopefully that is all you'll need to do. But after a few days post more pictures of how they are looking.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumblefoot-information-in-progress.1388301/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wrapping-feet.1255043/

It looks like starting of bumble foot which is infection. They aren't full scale bumble so start soaking their feet in Epsom salt water and using a drawing salve on each bumble. Wrap their feet to keep the salve on and check every few days to see how it is working soak and use the drawing salve hopefully that is all you'll need to do. But after a few days post more pictures of how they are looking.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumblefoot-information-in-progress.1388301/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wrapping-feet.1255043/
What kind of drawing salve should I get?

I am wondering why more than one KC has developed wounds on the feet? What are they walking on? Is there hardware cloth exposed under their run, or elsewhere? Is there a lot of concrete in their environment?

It's good that you were alerted to the foot wounds early. By following Miss Lydia's advice, you will likely avert a bumble forming. I have never had a duck with bumblefoot [touch wood] but i keep a close eye on my ducks and they get epsom salt soaks at any sign of limping or a wound under their foot. Even my muscovy drake that let's it be known in no uncertain terms that he does not like foot soaks, got his feet soaked daily when he started to limp recently. He hated it but he didn't get a bumble!!

But please think about the environment and how you might make it less likely that your ducks get little cuts on their feet. Prevention is definitely better than cure.

I am wondering why more than one KC has developed wounds on the feet? What are they walking on? Is there hardware cloth exposed under their run, or elsewhere? Is there a lot of concrete in their environment?

It's good that you were alerted to the foot wounds early. By following Miss Lydia's advice, you will likely avert a bumble forming. I have never had a duck with bumblefoot [touch wood] but i keep a close eye on my ducks and they get epsom salt soaks at any sign of limping or a wound under their foot. Even my muscovy drake that let's it be known in no uncertain terms that he does not like foot soaks, got his feet soaked daily when he started to limp recently. He hated it but he didn't get a bumble!!

But please think about the environment and how you might make it less likely that your ducks get little cuts on their feet. Prevention is definitely better than cure.
We are unsure they have wood flooring in their outdoor enclosure still from the winter but it is smooth my husband thinks it may be from their ramp but we’re installing a new coop in a few days (that he built) so the ramp won’t be an issue anymore. We are going to keep them in the coop for a few days if they aren’t liking that we are going to bring them in the house and he’s going to redo the flooring in the outdoor enclosure we want to leave it permanently so it’s not a mud bath and bugs don’t turn into an issue. Also the female has it worse then the male and we are unsure if it is because he doesn’t leave her alone lately. He kept pecking at her feet and going after her before when we had them in the tub in the house. He’s leaving her alone right now but we are thinking about separating them for a few days but we don’t want to put them in distress on top of the bumble. Also they weren’t limping the only reason I noticed it was because the male came running out last night and showed me his foot I couldn’t get her out till today which wasn’t easy.

Keep us updated on how they are doing.
I gave them their first soak today TSC didn’t have the salve so I ordered PRID off Amazon I should have it tomorrow afternoon. I did their foot soak in the tub it’s just easier it’s a smaller space and they only have so much room to fight us on it. My only mistake was I did them together (lesson learned) but I’m a little concerned my female KC kept going after the male and then he would go for her neck, back of her neck or her feet I got between then a few times but they never act like this. Should I separate them while they are healing especially since the females feet are worse then The males? I just don’t want to cause them more distress but I’m more worried about her and don’t want them to hurt each other I have a hard enough time getting her to let me catch her and look at her I kind of think it’s better to have her in the house but I don’t want either of them in distress.

Back
Top Bottom