Sorry But I've Seen Something And It Really Bothers Me

With horses, dogs, cats, chickens, etc.....not to mention a more than fulltime job - not much time to make everything sanitized. Clean, yes, healthy, yes.....but I'm not going to make sure things are perfect before I take a pic. I guess people will have to take my word that my animals are very well cared for....even if the waterers do sometimes have algae in them
wink.png
Lord knows the animals (every single one of them) gets fed before I even get to think about sitting down and fixing something for myself to eat. They also get a majority of my paycheck.........I think that's plenty - so if anyone of them starts complaining about a little algae in their waterers...it's time for them to learn to do it themselves. Wouldn't that be nice?

Algae would be good for birds, its greens. Now dirty water that another matter. Algae is plant materal just like grass, not bad for birds. May not look good, but still good for the birds!!!!!!! Not saying old water, all need fresh water everyday.

How many people have drank spring water running over algae cover rocks. Rest my case!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I never gave it much thought myself. Each morning and night I check water and food containers. Any water less than 1/4 full gets refilled after I wipe it out with a paper towel and dump any remaining water on it to rinse it out. I wash them with soap and water once in a while but they never loo bad.... now my roost that is a whole different story

Many forms of green algae are actually natural purifiers. The algae absorbs the impurities and toxins from the water. In a fish aquarium, the long, stringy, green algae really does it's job. It may be unsightly, but the water quality is way better than in a spotless aquarium.

I leave the algae in my waterers for all the animals.
Lots of good stuff in it, not to mention that fact that it purifies the water.

And, I never sanitize anything, unless illness has visited, which is rare.
I do clean everything though. Sanitizing just makes for worse health issues.

My main concern is avoiding mold, mildew and the red bacteria bloom you see in dirty waterers. After all, life depends on fresh, clean water and all manner of disease is borne through bacteria-laden water. Also, running water is quite different than stagnant water in a container.

AVOIDING EXPOSURE TO BLUE-GREEN ALGAE

Never drink untreated surface water, whether or not algae blooms are present. Untreated surface water may contain other bacteria, parasites or viruses, as well as algal toxins, that all could cause illness if consumed.

People not on public water supplies should not drink surface water, even if it is treated, during an algal bloom because in-home treatments such as boiling and disinfecting water with chlorine or UV and water filtration units do not protect people from blue-green algal toxins.

If washing dishes in untreated surface water is unavoidable, rinsing with bottled water may reduce possible residues. While we don't know if water containing low levels of blue-green algal toxins could leave residues on dishes, taking this precaution may help reduce possible exposures.

People, pets and livestock should avoid contact with water that is discolored or has scums on the surface. Colors can include shades of green, blue-green, yellow, brown or red. If contact does occur, wash with soap and water or rinse thoroughly with clean water to remove algae.

Stop using the water and seek medical attention if needed if symptoms such as skin, eye or throat irritation, allergic reactions or breathing difficulties occur while in contact with untreated surface waters. However, swimming, bathing or showering with water not visibly affected by a blue-green algae bloom is not expected to cause health effects.

Where to get more information

NYS Department of Health
Bureau of Toxic Substance Assessment
ph: 800-458-1158 ext. 2-7820

From this page: http://www.health.state.ny.us/environmental/water/drinking/bluegreenalgae.htm

and
another article: http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/cons/5089.pdf

If you have ever owned ducks you will know that their nice sparkly clean water is muddy looking within moments.
th.gif

I scrub my pools and buckets everyother day in summer and once a week in winter. The algea is hard and impossible to scrub it all out. It doesnt bother the ducks. Heck they eat algea and stuff in ponds.

The horse troughs get algea really easy too. I know ive hurt my elbow plenty of times scrubbing those things.

And I agree with Paula

one thing we should all remember when we are
somad.gif
about the condition of waterers and feeders and other people's conditions for raising their chickens, is that we were not there when that pic was taken. Sometimes it can be a lighting issue, or even a camera issue.

I asked my DS to take a pic of something in my coop one time and i was
ep.gif
when I seen the pic. my waterer looked filthy with dust and debris. the water almost looked yellow. Just to find out that it was the way the flash and the surrounding lightening reacted. (cheap camera may have something to do with it too)

the setting on each and every computer monitor is different. there are so many things that could cause things to look different then how they really are.

Oh and another thing... sometimes when the plastic from some waterers come into prolonged contact with UV rays from being outside it can make the plastic waterers look yellow

Last edited:
I agree waterers need to be cleaned regularly but I ask myself all the time why is that my chickens would rather drink out of a muddy poopy mud puddle then their freshly cleaned and freshly poured water bowl?

Back
Top Bottom