Sorry, it's another worm question

BonkBonk

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 3, 2015
So many threads and yet it's still confusing as !@*#.

First of all, do you all think these are tapeworm segments? I've been seeing a number of poops like this for several weeks now, always little white specs like this. They are almost always out in the free range area vs in the coop. Which makes me think they are some kind of egg. I thought tapeworm segments were more like rice.

If they are tapeworm, I just have a few questions. Again, sorry if they have been answered countless times.

Is Zimecterin Gold still considered the best treatment option?

Main concern -- is it still recommended to give the flock a more "mild" dewormer first to clear some of the existing worm load and avoid killing them? Then wait a prescribed number of days?

I as I understand it, most chickens have some worms already (roundworm, etc) and in certain cases you can kill the bird by killing all the worms at once. I have some Wazine 17, though it's a couple years past date and I'm not sure if I should toss it or not. I can also get some Fenbendazole for the same purpose -- though I know these don't actually fix the tapeworm issue on their own.

poopX.jpg

Yes, those are Tapeworm Proglottids.

Yes, you can use Zimectrin Gold. (see link below for other products that can be used along with dosing).

No. You do not need to use another dewormer along with the Zimectrin Gold when treating for Tapeworm.

The purpose for using another dewormer was a product like Wazine 17 (which if off the market btw) there would have been a massive worm die off at one time instead of at a slower rate that you find with Fenbendazole or Albendazole. The suggestion of using one of these along with Wazine (Piperazine) was to help avoid worm toxicity.

• Zimectrin Gold horse paste 77.5 mg/ml Praziquantel, 15.5 mg/ml ivermectin. Dose is ~0.06 ml per pound or 0.3 ml per five pounds
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

Yes, those are Tapeworm Proglottids.

Yes, you can use Zimectrin Gold. (see link below for other products that can be used along with dosing).

No. You do not need to use another dewormer along with the Zimectrin Gold when treating for Tapeworm.

The purpose for using another dewormer was a product like Wazine 17 (which if off the market btw) there would have been a massive worm die off at one time instead of at a slower rate that you find with Fenbendazole or Albendazole. The suggestion of using one of these along with Wazine (Piperazine) was to help avoid worm toxicity.

• Zimectrin Gold horse paste 77.5 mg/ml Praziquantel, 15.5 mg/ml ivermectin. Dose is ~0.06 ml per pound or 0.3 ml per five pounds
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/
Thanks. I found a couple similar threads (after I posted this) with pics. Our cat has given us a few tapeworm episodes and those definitely looked different. But I figured that's what this was.

I know what the other dewormer was for, I just didn't understand how Zimectrin Gold would avoid the worm toxicity issue. Sounds like it kills worms at a slower rate as well?

And thanks for the thread. I was looking for something like that. I've been reading a lot the last couple days but Google wasn't pointing me to that one or the others I mentioned.

Thanks. I found a couple similar threads (after I posted this) with pics. Our cat has given us a few tapeworm episodes and those definitely looked different. But I figured that's what this was.

I know what the other dewormer was for, I just didn't understand how Zimectrin Gold would avoid the worm toxicity issue. Sounds like it kills worms at a slower rate as well?

And thanks for the thread. I was looking for something like that. I've been reading a lot the last couple days but Google wasn't pointing me to that one or the others I mentioned.
I've used Zimectrin Gold before for tapeworms. You have nothing to worry about, go ahead and use it. Simply follow the dosing instructions provided by @Wyorp Rock .
You might get lucky and see pieces or strands of the actual tapeworm(s) in feces up to an hour after using the Z-Gold. If not, it means that the tapeworm(s) were absorbed as protein into the chickens system.

Back
Top Bottom