It's not going to be fun no matter how you do it. I've never had to, but with both chickens and cockatiels the method I've read about is to grasp the feather stub firmly with needlenose pliers, put your other hand on the skin close to the base of the feather to support it so that it doesn't tear, and pull firmly and carefully.

You may need an extra set of hands to secure the chicken.
Thank you!

We did not drill the holes in the coop yesterday because my older brother had forgot to bring the drill back home so I think it might get done tomorrow I hope it can be done around then, although the chickens seem a little better.
Yesterday I found some more pallets that I want to use for the pallet coop.
I took these with binoculars, there was a coyote out in the field. A few minutes after I took the pictures I think one of the neighbors tried shooting it I hope it was just to scare it off:(
20220316_121402_HDR.jpg

20220316_121359_HDR.jpg

I have yet to drill the holes but want to do it tomorrow, today has been really windy and yesterday wasn't a good day to do it either, I also really want to start working on the pallet coop or whatever material I decide to use, I just don't know where, what material I want to use to build it with and how to build it, I can and most probably will have the help of my dad when building the coop. So any and all advise, suggestions is greatly appreciated.
I think this is important to note. I only have ten chickens now, one of the old hens passed away on March 29th she had a reproductive issue I believe.
Kiki and one of the other hens have been laying eggs the last few days, I think the chickens are all okay minus the respiratory thing.

We drilled four holes today! I will get pictures of them later.
I think the holes are about an inch wide or something like that. I am not sure if the four holes will be enough or not though.
Edit: I also was thinking that maybe I could take the divider to one of the nesting boxes out, but the way the divider is I am not sure if that would work very well, I will get pictures of the nesting boxes as well today.

We drilled four holes today! I will get pictures of them later.
I think the holes are about an inch wide or something like that. I am not sure if the four holes will be enough or not.

If you're talking ventilation, you need square feet, not square inches. :)

1 square foot is 1 foot wide and 1 foot tall. Or 2 feet wide and 6 inches tall. Or 4 feet wide and 3 inches tall. Or a triangle under your gable peak that is 2 feet wide at the bottom and one foot tall.

Here are the holes we drilled.
20220418_124021_HDR.jpg
20220418_124028.jpg
20220418_124050.jpg
20220418_124102.jpg

So far they seem to have helped a little. I want to drill some holes in the front of the coop but haven't really been able or gotten to doing it. I try to spot clean the coop as often as possible. I got these pictures today. It has rained and snowed a couple times already since we drilled the holes and they haven't made it get wet or anything in the coop.

Attachments

• 20220418_124043.jpg
    20220418_124043.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 0
A 1" round hole isn't even 1 square inch of ventilation.

Chicken coops need square FEET of ventilation, not square inches. Sawing out pieces of siding would be more beneficial. :)
Thank you!
I can only do the holes for now. But I want to add more holes today or a few days from now. They will be on the front of the coop maybe a inc or two down from the very top as the side holes are.

Back
Top Bottom