SOS— heat exhaustion??

MollyHSmith

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2023
Well, I have an awful question. I’m out of town and my duck/goose watcher forgot to let my birds out of their coops this morning; another person went to put them back in their coops for bed this evening and saw that they were still in there ☹️ I live in Central Texas and it’s ABSURDLY HOT! My friend who saw them this evening said all of them got plenty of water & food in the hour they were able to be out before dark… and she put water & food in their coops with them (which I usually don’t do). She said they weren’t acting lethargic and just seemed thirsty/hungry, and once they got their fill they were walking & grazing around like normal… but oh my gosh! I feel SO AWFUL and so helpless and I’m so worried. My poor babies. Just cooking away in their coops without any water all day 😫 I usually give them fresh pool and drinking water in the morning & top them off with fresh water mid-day when the sun is the worst. Aggghhhhhh.

What on earth should I do? When do symptoms of dehydration set in, what should I watch out for? Thankfully I’ll be home tomorrow evening.. and I asked my friend who’s letting them out in the morning to add electrolytes to their water & to give them a watermelon to snack on throughout the day. I just hope they’re okay 😭😭😭

Wow that’s upsetting it’s been my worst fear when I’m away .. thanks God they seem to be okay.. . Hopefully your coops in the shade and has plenty of ventilation.. I don’t know about delayed dehydration, but the electrolytes and watermelon are a great idea , I would’ve done the same thing leaving The water in overnight, even though it’s a real pain in the butt to clean up the mess., I hope they are 👍🏼 ok 💕

Wow that’s upsetting it’s been my worst fear when I’m away .. thanks God they seem to be okay.. . Hopefully your coops in the shade and has plenty of ventilation.. I don’t know about delayed dehydration, but the electrolytes and watermelon are a great idea , I would’ve done the same thing leaving The water in overnight, even though it’s a real pain in the butt to clean up the mess., I hope they are 👍🏼 ok 💕
X2🙏

Back
Top Bottom