Sos need advice

animals1981

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Toronto
My Coop
My Coop
Hey this week has been the first time i let my pigeons out. They stayed around the first few days coming back into loft at night. But now they all vanished. It was raining the past two days and they just took off and have not come back. Do pigeons sometimes go for a week or so then come back? SOme are homing pigeons but some are tipplers.

they might just be waiting out the rain. my uncle had pigeons and they always came back, when they get too hungry they'll probably come back.

How long have you had them? If for several months, then most should come back when they get hungry.

But if you let out adult homers form another loft they will likely try to fly back to their home loft.

The other breeds won't usually do this, but they might have tried to follow the homers and got lost

If they come back you should keep the birds in the coop all the time, and only let them out to fly once or twice a day, and at the end of the flying time call them straight back into the coop to feed them.

Don't let the birds free range all day and just come back to roost. You will loose many to predators, they will annoy neighbours, they will get into accidents and all sorts of trouble.

I hope they come back to you soon.. keeping my fingers crossed.

Homers may go back to a previous coop, you never know. Raising very young chicks that have just learned to fly, or caging forever some breeders until you can build up your flock might help.

They may still come home, have you called any previous owners to check for their arrival?

I let my whole flock out all day every day. They were in every night and we had lots of babies. Predators are a risk, and sometimes the birds didn't come home, but birds should fly in my opinion.

Good luck!

Do pigeons sometimes go for a week or so then come back?
The answer is "YES and NO". I sold a pigeon that was kept prisoner for close to a year. When he finally escaped he flew 719 miles to return to the loft he was raised in. I have had young birds raised in the loft that flew with my adult homers for the first time never to return. I have had some homers that were lost for months that were captured and their bands removed that eventually escaped and returned home. One solid white pigeon that fell down a chimney I presume that entered my loft and I thought was a feral. Later to find out was covered in soot and actually my bird. I believe this bird was rescued and nursed back to health then released (bands were in tack).

Back
Top Bottom