Sound at night...

Bluemonster107

Songster
Apr 16, 2019
Fresno, California
I have not hatched any coturnix as of yet... but got to thinking.. what do I do if I have a very loud male?!? I live in trackhome style suburbia... I have awesome neighbors but they will KILL me if I have something that is crowing all the time... I know it’s a hit and miss.. but what do others do ? Just making sure I’m prepared... also... do the coturnix make sounds all night? Can’t be any worse that some of the dumb dogs that bark and yap all day/night near me... I have researched sounds on YouTube but they make them louder than normal so you can actually hear... so for you real lifers

For a small flock, especially in an urban setting, one or no males is ideal. This means you wind up having to cull the extra roosters in each hatch. Their crowing is rather loud, especially when they do it frequently.

In my experience, multiple males in breeding season were loud, crowed late into the night, and often engaged in "crow-offs." Now my lone rooster's crow if more of a murmur and he does it maybe once a day. No males = super quiet, as the hens mostly make gentle (cute!) noises.

Idk.... I have never raised those kind of quail. But my bobwhite male crows at dawn and dusk. Which is a very pretty sound. Idk what coturnix sound like.
The only night crower I have is my bantam rooster. He is pretty quiet during the day but crows at 2am! :th Lol
I don't really care because I'm in the country and I can't hear him in my room. :gig

I think it will depend on your neighbors mainly as to whether they like nature sounds and if they are early risers. My bobs sound off 6-6:30am in the mornings and at dusk, thinking without wind can probably be heard down the block but normally last for 2-3 minutes. I live in rural residential subdivision on 1/4 acre tracks and for 1 and 1/2 years with them “0” complaints. Neighbors to each side of me are cool and their kids love coming over to watch the hatches and see chicks grow after hatches. I am NOT where there is a HOA, just great community in North Central Texas. Most have very good insulation’s homes where outside sounds are muffled. Hope that gives you some onsite.

I think it will depend on your neighbors mainly as to whether they like nature sounds and if they are early risers. My bobs sound off 6-6:30am in the mornings and at dusk, thinking without wind can probably be heard down the block but normally last for 2-3 minutes. I live in rural residential subdivision on 1/4 acre tracks and for 1 and 1/2 years with them “0” complaints. Neighbors to each side of me are cool and their kids love coming over to watch the hatches and see chicks grow after hatches. I am NOT where there is a HOA, just great community in North Central Texas. Most have very good insulation’s homes where outside sounds are muffled. Hope that gives you some onsite.
Very helpful... yea... we don’t have an HOA and out city laws allow quail if they are “pets” and not kept for human consumption.... and that the noise can’t disturb more than two neighbors complaining... California... we have crazy laws on all kinds of animals here.. and I don’t think anything could be more bothersome than a few neighbors and their dumb dogs that make yelping and barking noises all morning /day/ night... I have dogs too... but I also don’t allow them to make dumb noises all day long.. hahaha
I love the male roo sounds I have heard on YouTube... I guess if my hatch ends up having them.. we will have to see how bad it gets ... and may try and just re-home to a friend that lives in a more agricultural area here

Very helpful... yea... we don’t have an HOA and out city laws allow quail if they are “pets” and not kept for human consumption.... and that the noise can’t disturb more than two neighbors complaining... California... we have crazy laws on all kinds of animals here.. and I don’t think anything could be more bothersome than a few neighbors and their dumb dogs that make yelping and barking noises all morning /day/ night... I have dogs too... but I also don’t allow them to make dumb noises all day long.. hahaha
I love the male roo sounds I have heard on YouTube... I guess if my hatch ends up having them.. we will have to see how bad it gets ... and may try and just re-home to a friend that lives in a more agricultural area here
I live in California as well and I had a male at an apartment for a while. Believe it or not, no neighbors complained. I have all females now, and some of them make gentle dove sounds while their sleeping.

It depends on their individual personalities as well. My first generation of Q's i had, the males were soo very noisy! Crowing all day and very often all night! Especially when the moon was bright.
The quail i have now, i have a group in the living room and on my porch they are actually only about 30 feet apart but the males hardly crow ever, i dont know of its because they arent right side by side like they used to be or what, but i think it must be, when they were besides each other both in the house thats when they would crow back and forth all day. And their crows do carry pretty far. It is alot less annoying than dogs barking to me,
( and i have dogs that i love! )

It depends on their individual personalities as well....
( and i have dogs that i love! )
That’s what I’m hoping... as I do love their male sounds too... just hope I don’t have one or two that wants to live like rockstar
We have so many wild pigeons (they think all the solar panels on everyone’s houses are the best hangouts and best builds)and doves... maybe the neighbors will just think it’s from them ,, hahaha

For a small flock, especially in an urban setting, one or no males is ideal. This means you wind up having to cull the extra roosters in each hatch. Their crowing is rather loud, especially when they do it frequently.

In my experience, multiple males in breeding season were loud, crowed late into the night, and often engaged in "crow-offs." Now my lone rooster's crow if more of a murmur and he does it maybe once a day. No males = super quiet, as the hens mostly make gentle (cute!) noises.

I live in the city. For some reason people (unhappily) put up with dogs barking non-stop for hours at night, yet the idea of chickens upsets them! My (friendly, normally very tolerant) neighbor--raised on a FARM--complained about the green frog in my pond! I keep no roos, of course, and my dogs are NOT allowed to bark outdoors more than once or twice before they are brought in. Noise pollution is hard on people, especially those with kids or sleep disorders...

I live in the city. For some reason people (unhappily) put up with dogs barking non-stop for hours at night...
RIGHT?!?!?
That is funny... not funny... that your neighbor complained about your frog!! Really?!?! Wow...
we don’t have any “native” frogs right where we live, as there just isn’t enough water but I LOVE all frog sounds!! I get so excited when my pacman frog makes his noises inside... I even buy crickets in excess because I like the sounds!! Haha
We do have tons of wild doves, blue birds, pigeons, chiadees, cardinals, seagulls (must be lost) and geese (and many others).. we get some birds arguing or mating or whatever in our redwoods in our yard tooALWAYS around making noise... so I’m hoping that even if I end up with a noisy boy.. it just kinda blends!! Haha

Back
Top Bottom