Sound of Silence 6am - No More Crowing

Well, yeah, if you don't have whiny neighbors, there is no sweeter sound than a crowing rooster. I have 12 who crow from 4 a.m. until dusk. But since good homes for roosters are so incredibly rare, I just thought the collar is a kinder alternative to death.

I'm not saying that the collar doesn't have a good purpose. I just gave up on it. My roo that was the problem child was miserable with the collar. It just didn't work out for us.

I'm not saying that the collar doesn't have a good purpose. I just gave up on it. My roo that was the problem child was miserable with the collar. It just didn't work out for us.

My 1st roo had problems with the collar. It made his crow higher pitched & last longer. If I got it tight enough, it was too tight & we had other issues.

A collar seems to help with my current roo. He's not a frequent crower to begin with and the collar limits both the frequency & volume. It doesn't stop crowing completely, but helps.

I took an old 1" wide dog collar and cut it down to fit around my roo's neck, then added Velcro to hold it on. We've had to adjust it tighter a couple of times. The crow is more muffled my but my roo continues to crow ... Starting at 3:00am, relentlessly !

I have a 2 chickens I just found out one may be a Rooster due to the crowing at 630am. I researched this and was able to make a small velcro strap with my sewing machine and a old eye mask with a velcro strap. I put it on him when he was asleep- he's much more tolerant at night. He did not crow this morning. He did a couple crows at around 800 but then stopped. I can fit at least a finger underneath. II thinking it's a little loose?

We put a collar with velcro strips on a 3 months old Welsummer roo. He accepted it fine, but the problem is that the other chickens keep pecking at at, and poor roo is now running away and hiding from everybody. Any time he comes out, another chicken or two will attack the collar.

Anyone had a similar problem? I think the color of the collar may be standing out too much against his golden feathers?

Another problem is that he seems to crow much more often after we put it on (maybe trying to perfect the sound, LOL)

I didn't have other birds pecking at the collar itself, but they pecked at the rooster with the collar. He is now at the bottom of the pecking order, whereas he used to rule the whole property. He is rooster #12 out of 13. (#13 being the lowest on the pecking order.)

I only have 1 roo, so he's still boss of the hens. When I 1st put the collar on him, he walks backwards & flaps a bit. The hens look at him weird, which makes him stop & act more manly. Flock dynamics are funny to watch.

I do not keep it on him most days. (ie all winter, they're in an insulated coop/run, so no need. or Most weekdays, he doesn't crow until 7:30am.) He wears the collar only at times when I think people may want to sleep in or if a neighbor is having a party or construction nearby.

Back
Top Bottom