Sour and impacted crop

sezua

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 27, 2014
Texas
I have a hen who has had sour crop for about a month. I was desperate and started giving her Monistat and it seems to be working. We had the first semi solid poop in 2 months and she has been a lot perkier. But it seems now after a week her crop is back to squishy and sour. It seems to have stopped emptying and is full in the morning again. I have been massaging which helps some and continuing the Monistat. I am giving 1ml of the 2% cream twice daily. I read on a thread they did 3 times daily so maybe I'm not giving her enough.
Is sour crop really hard to get rid of? Does anyone have knowledge of why it keeps going back and forth between sour and impacted not emptying?

Hey withhold food for a day give her a syringe of wine has to be red and then feed her yogurt for the next day she'll be fine I know it sounds crazy but it works don't know anything about monistat

I have a hen who has had sour crop for about a month. I was desperate and started giving her Monistat and it seems to be working. We had the first semi solid poop in 2 months and she has been a lot perkier. But it seems now after a week her crop is back to squishy and sour. It seems to have stopped emptying and is full in the morning again. I have been massaging which helps some and continuing the Monistat. I am giving 1ml of the 2% cream twice daily. I read on a thread they did 3 times daily so maybe I'm not giving her enough.
Is sour crop really hard to get rid of? Does anyone have knowledge of why it keeps going back and forth between sour and impacted not emptying?

Crop problems are almost always secondary to something further in. Has she ever been wormed with Safeguard or Valbazen?

-Kathy

Yes, she was put on baytril injections for 10 days for what appeared to be pneumonia that came on very quick last month. The vet also checked stool at that time and there were no parasites. The sour crop came on from the antibiotics. She was doing better and but has seemed to relapse. Yesterday I gave her some live mealworms and she passed a few whole in about ten minutes. She ate some throughout the day but crop wasn't empty this morning.

Yes, she was put on baytril injections for 10 days for what appeared to be pneumonia that came on very quick last month. The vet also checked stool at that time and there were no parasites. The sour crop came on from the antibiotics. She was doing better and but has seemed to relapse. Yesterday I gave her some live mealworms and she passed a few whole in about ten minutes. She ate some throughout the day but crop wasn't empty this morning.
Will the vet sell you some ketoconazole?

-Kathy

I will certainly ask. Is it stronger then the miconazole?

Yes, it's in the same family of drugs as the pill that women take for vaginal yeast infections, but it's much less expensive. Talk to the vet about ketoconazole, fluconazole and nystatin.

-Kathy

Update- I think the sour crop has cleared with the Monistat. But now the crop is very slow and she has really strong strange smelling poop. Almost a chemical smell. I've been trying to get her to eat as much as I can but she's losing weight since the crop isn't working properly. She's 10 months old never laid an egg but she's been sick for two months so that may be why. I've looked up symptoms and they point to mareks, ecoli but not sure how long birds can live with these infections that that's what it is. She's been vaccinated for mareks. Any opinions as to what I should try next? Oh I've ordered a crop bra to see if that helps it work a little easier.

Update- I think the sour crop has cleared with the Monistat. But now the crop is very slow and she has really strong strange smelling poop. Almost a chemical smell. I've been trying to get her to eat as much as I can but she's losing weight since the crop isn't working properly. She's 10 months old never laid an egg but she's been sick for two months so that may be why. I've looked up symptoms and they point to mareks, ecoli but not sure how long birds can live with these infections that that's what it is. She's been vaccinated for mareks. Any opinions as to what I should try next? Oh I've ordered a crop bra to see if that helps it work a little easier.
Has she been de-wormed with Safeguard for 5 days in a row? Look up Capillary worms.

Back
Top Bottom