Sour Crop and Molt on 7+ year old hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by puddinbabe, Oct 1, 2015.

1. puddinbabe

puddinbabe Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    Last week Harriet she wasn't eating her scratch. She's never been one to not eat her treats. And then she wouldn't eat dried meal worms. That's when I knew something was up. She has a really large, squishy crop. It doesn't smell awful, but it doesn't smell good. When I picked her up to feel her, I accidentally vomited her. So then I vomited her some more. This is what came out. She hasn't been eating her food. And she's molting. I've brought her inside and every time I pick her up she loses feathers. She's drinking water and I gave her a bit of yogurt, but she's lethargic and has her tail down. I've been massaging her crop. Her poop is watery yellow. She's and older lady. I found her about 7 years ago and she was of laying age at that time. Any thoughts on dealing with the crop and the molt at the same time? I know she needs to eat to grow her feathers so the sickness is really taking it out of her.

Also, its been raining here for over a week. Everything is wet, muddy, and moldy. You can see the scratch grains have sprouted since she hasn't eaten them and its been so wet.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by