Sour crop and treatment?

You know what, get a picture of both.
Does the box not have a label?!!!
Lol it does. The package is in polish ofc, so i don't think you'll understand it but wish u luck lol.
1602876650645.png
1602876663220.png

Lol it does. The package is in polish ofc, so i don't think you'll understand it but wish u luck lol.View attachment 2375487View attachment 2375489
Ahh, but If I can't read it outright, I can usually find a way to translate information:)

Since you started the Nystatin, I would continue with that and see how it goes.
With her being an older hen she may have something else going on that's causing the crop to slow down.
Keep me posted.

Ahh, but If I can't read it outright, I can usually find a way to translate information:)

Since you started the Nystatin, I would continue with that and see how it goes.
With her being an older hen she may have something else going on that's causing the crop to slow down.
Keep me posted.
Ok. I heard that i shouldn't give nystatin in food cuz it wouldn't work, but others say that i can Which is true? Her crop is still big but i didn't vomit her today.

Last edited:
Btw what else can i feed her except eggs and yogurt? She seems to lost interest in it. Maybe cottage cheese/white cheese?

Last edited:
OMG @Wyorp Rock . I was closing the coop when she started pooing and like making sounds of maybe pain? Something white was coming out of her vent (it looked like egg beying layed, but she was roosting). It fell on the ground and when i grabbed it, it was soft, cylindrical small egg-alike object? It was a "closed cylindrical thing", but i tore it to see whats inside and there were like layers of something like soft shell i'd say. (I like to compare it to the inside of cooked soy meat [the one you buy dry and then cook]). Between 2 of the layers were some weird ,whitish mash. The whole thing smelled terrible, like an cooked egg with chicken poo. Here's some photos of the opened thing: (btw her feathers on vent are dirty, probably because of diarrhea/runny poo, should i clean or cut them off?)
1602956679886.png
1602956464905.png
1602956407348.png
1602956313207.png
1602956225719.png

Ok. I heard that i shouldn't give nystatin in food cuz it wouldn't work, but others say that i can Which is true? Her crop is still big but i didn't vomit her today.
And can I let her out to walk for a bit? What if she'd eat grass there?
Btw what else can i feed her except eggs and yogurt? She seems to lost interest in it. Maybe cottage cheese/white cheese?
OMG @Wyorp Rock . I was closing the coop when she started pooing and like making sounds of maybe pain? Something white was coming out of her vent (it looked like egg beying layed, but she was roosting). It fell on the ground and when i grabbed it, it was soft, cylindrical small egg-alike object? It was a "closed cylindrical thing", but i tore it to see whats inside and there were like layers of something like soft shell i'd say. (I like to compare it to the inside of cooked soy meat [the one you buy dry and then cook]). Between 2 of the layers were some weird ,whitish mash. The whole thing smelled terrible, like an cooked egg with chicken poo. Here's some photos of the opened thing: (btw her feathers on vent are dirty, probably because of diarrhea/runny poo, should i clean or cut them off?)View attachment 2376530View attachment 2376526View attachment 2376525View attachment 2376523View attachment 2376518
I would go easy with the dairy products, but yes, if those would entice her I would offer a very small amount. A wet mash of feed would be food too.

That wasn't poop, that looks like layers of egg membrane. Possibly a lash egg, but this looks more like membranes to me. She may start feeling better since she was able to expel that.
This tells us that she has some type of reproductive issue. She hasn't laid eggs in a while has she?
It's possible she may have infection in the oviduct as well, so consider seeing if you can get some antibiotics too. Not sure if you can get those OTC or not.

I would continue with the Nystatin and see if she starts to improve with treatment and since she's expelled that. She may have more in the oviduct, but all you can do is wait and see how it goes.

I would go easy with the dairy products, but yes, if those would entice her I would offer a very small amount. A wet mash of feed would be food too.

That wasn't poop, that looks like layers of egg membrane. Possibly a lash egg, but this looks more like membranes to me. She may start feeling better since she was able to expel that.
This tells us that she has some type of reproductive issue. She hasn't laid eggs in a while has she?
It's possible she may have infection in the oviduct as well, so consider seeing if you can get some antibiotics too. Not sure if you can get those OTC or not.

I would continue with the Nystatin and see if she starts to improve with treatment and since she's expelled that. She may have more in the oviduct, but all you can do is wait and see how it goes.
Poor girl :(. Some of it looked like a soft, cracked shell on a membrane. I don't think she has laid an egg in 3-4 days, but she's getting older and she was laying on for a few days recently (in like may she was almost laying everyday). In the evening i gave her second dose of nystatin (250 000 iu ), but as she didn't want to eat it with food, i had to cut it into small pieces and force feed her and then gave her some water from syringe. What kind of antibiotic could it be? I mean the "chemical" name, so i could easily check it on the internet (i mean like aspiryne, crotrimazole etc.), in what form and what if she wouldn't need it? Wouldn't it hurt her when used? May i give her chicken food (i think its called pellets, you know, corn, some grounded grains etc) mixed with water to form of mash? And what if the crop doesn't empty by tomorrow? Sorry for so much questions, but i want to know now, just in case. And I'm very thankful that you are still trying to help :hugs

Poor girl :(. Some of it looked like a soft, cracked shell on a membrane. I don't think she has laid an egg in 3-4 days, but she's getting older and she was laying on for a few days recently (in like may she was almost laying everyday). In the evening i gave her second dose of nystatin (250 000 iu ), but as she didn't want to eat it with food, i had to cut it into small pieces and force feed her and then gave her some water from syringe. What kind of antibiotic could it be? I mean the "chemical" name, so i could easily check it on the internet (i mean like aspiryne, crotrimazole etc.), in what form and what if she wouldn't need it? Wouldn't it hurt her when used? May i give her chicken food (i think its called pellets, you know, corn, some grounded grains etc) mixed with water to form of mash? And what if the crop doesn't empty by tomorrow? Sorry for so much questions, but i want to know now, just in case. And I'm very thankful that you are still trying to help :hugs
And maybe i could use aspirin alongside with nystatin in case there is an infection? Or not?
Hi, How is she doing?

I'm sorry for some reason I didn't get an alert that you had replied.

I would give her a bit of wet feed/soaked pellets or some soft cooked egg but not corn or ground grains until you get the crop issue sorted out.

Personally, I would not give aspirin. For infection you would need an antibiotic. Amoxicillin or one ending in "cycline" (oxytetracycline, tetracycline, doxycycline) may help. Enrofloxacin (Baytril) could also be used, but it's banned for use in poultry in the U.S. so very likely banned in Poland as well.

Let me know.

Back
Top Bottom