Sour crop and treatment?

Hi, How is she doing?

I'm sorry for some reason I didn't get an alert that you had replied.

I would give her a bit of wet feed/soaked pellets or some soft cooked egg but not corn or ground grains until you get the crop issue sorted out.

Personally, I would not give aspirin. For infection you would need an antibiotic. Amoxicillin or one ending in "cycline" (oxytetracycline, tetracycline, doxycycline) may help. Enrofloxacin (Baytril) could also be used, but it's banned for use in poultry in the U.S. so very likely banned in Poland as well.

Let me know.
I think in Poland Enrofloxacin is obtainable but in forms of injects, and it's probably on prescription, so getting it would be hard. She is still on nystatin (500 000 iu per day, in two doses). As i noticed she has some dirty vent feathers, and under her roosting place is some whitish "slime" like some kind of mucus or poor poop? By an accident i forgot to give her a supper yesterday (but she had still some food in the cage and didn't eat it) and today her crop was like smaller. Maybe try witholding food for another day, or not? And what if my pellets contain corn?

I think in Poland Enrofloxacin is obtainable but in forms of injects, and it's probably on prescription, so getting it would be hard. She is still on nystatin (500 000 iu per day, in two doses). As i noticed she has some dirty vent feathers, and under her roosting place is some whitish "slime" like some kind of mucus or poor poop? By an accident i forgot to give her a supper yesterday (but she had still some food in the cage and didn't eat it) and today her crop was like smaller. Maybe try witholding food for another day, or not? And what if my pellets contain corn?
Whatever corn is in the pellets I would not worry about, it has been processes/ground up finely I just would not give her scratch/corn.

Try to take photos of poop each day, I know that can be a challenge.
You could withhold food for another day and see if that helps. Or take out food earlier in the day to give more time to see what happens overnight.

Whatever corn is in the pellets I would not worry about, it has been processes/ground up finely I just would not give her scratch/corn.

Try to take photos of poop each day, I know that can be a challenge.
You could withhold food for another day and see if that helps. Or take out food earlier in the day to give more time to see what happens overnight.
I may post a photo of pellets later too

@Wyorp Rock Here arre photos of her vent and the pellets. Could i use it?
1603120269241.png
1603120125147.png

@Wyorp Rock Here arre photos of her vent and the pellets. Could i use it?View attachment 2378870View attachment 2378867
Hard to see the vent, but if she's really messy, you may need to give her a clean up or trim the feathers a little.

The feed looks like what we call Scratch here in the U.S. Do you feed a pelleted poultry feed? If that's the feed, then I would soak a small amount of that overnight and give her a little. Soft cooked egg would be good too.
I would assume she has a source of grit as well?

Hard to see the vent, but if she's really messy, you may need to give her a clean up or trim the feathers a little.

The feed looks like what we call Scratch here in the U.S. Do you feed a pelleted poultry feed? If that's the feed, then I would soak a small amount of that overnight and give her a little. Soft cooked egg would be good too.
I would assume she has a source of grit as well?
In Poland it's called "pasza" and they get it only in the morning alongside with wheat and the rest of the day they eat wheat. So i don't have pelleted one. She doesn't get feed any grit (except if she finds some in the cage). In what form sh\ould i give it to her? To be extra-sure - i can give her a small amount of soaked scratch, am i right?

In Poland it's called "pasza" and they get it only in the morning alongside with wheat and the rest of the day they eat wheat. So i don't have pelleted one. She doesn't get feed any grit (except if she finds some in the cage). In what form sh\ould i give it to her? To be extra-sure - i can give her a small amount of soaked scratch, am i right?
If you have wheat, then I would soak that instead. Leave out the corn mix.
Does that make sense?

Back
Top Bottom