Sour crop but what else? Lice?

quite puffed up and noticeably uncomfortable. I determined she had sour crop and I started giving her yeast infection medicine. Her crop seems much better and I’ve still been giving her the medicine as one of the other articles say to give it twice a day for 7 days.

I think the sour crop has been cured, it hasn’t felt full or squishy since a day or two after I started treating it.

She is 2.5 years old.

Her abdomen does seem slightly bloated.

I also noticed that the scales on her legs look a little strange. I’ll try to attach a photo. Could that be what is spurring all of this on? She did eat some grit today. I put some B12 on it.
I agree, very likely she has some type of reproductive disorder. Yellow urates can point to liver dysfunction so she may have something going on there too.

If you have a vet that can run a fecal float to rule out worms that would be good too.

Continue with the crop treatment for the full 7 days. See that she's drinking and eating.
Supportive care of giving poultry vitamins a couple of times a week may help.

Treat the raised scales on her feet by rubbing a bit of Vaseline or Nu Stock cream onto her legs, focusing on working the products up and underneath the scales.

I'm not seeing anything that looks like lice or mites in the feathers, but as you clean her up, do take note of any crawling bugs or black/red dots accumulating around the vent, under wings, etc. which would indicate she needs to be dusted with Permethrin. Often birds that are sick can have external parasites.

Photos of her standing may be helpful. Other things you can try if you wish are giving a round of antibiotics, deworming and/or treating for Coccidiosis. None of these are likely cures, underlying conditions still exist, but these are options to use as needed for supportive care and to possibly make a hen more comfortable for a short period of time.

If vet care is an option, that would be best.

Here’s a picture of her standing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 6
Poor Girl:hugs

Yes, she seems to be in a bad way doesn't she.

I might consider giving her 1 Calcium Citrate tablet once daily for several days to see if that's helps her expel any egg/lash or similar.

Having a stance like this she's having a hard time and may not make it for long.
Work hydration and the crop, but she's got more going on that just crop symptoms.
Do what you can to make her comfortable and give her a few days to see how it goes.

I picked up some calcium citrate and fed it to her with some eggs. I also gave her some B12 and Nutri-drench. Her belly felt like maybe she had ascites so I decided to try to drain her to give her some relief. I’m attaching a picture. I’m alarmed at how dark it looks, however I realized it might be that way because of the nutri-drench? That stuff is really dark and always such a mess. Or does this mean something else? She ate some eggs and grit afterwards. And drank some on her own. Now she seems ready for a nap.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 6
I picked up some calcium citrate and fed it to her with some eggs. I also gave her some B12 and Nutri-drench. Her belly felt like maybe she had ascites so I decided to try to drain her to give her some relief. I’m attaching a picture. I’m alarmed at how dark it looks, however I realized it might be that way because of the nutri-drench? That stuff is really dark and always such a mess. Or does this mean something else? She ate some eggs and grit afterwards. And drank some on her own. Now she seems ready for a nap.
So you drained that liquid out of her?

The fluid came from the abdominal cavity, so no, vitamins would not affect the color.
Dark fluid like that could be liver disease and/or reproductive. The only way to know is if you lose her and send the body for necropsy or do your own.

See how she does. Draining the fluid may have been enough to help her feel more comfortable and her crop symptoms may improve since some relief was given.

The poor dear is not out of the woods yet and do know, that even if she gets better, this is very likely going to be a reoccurring issue until she just can't continue on.

So you drained that liquid out of her?
Yes, it’s terrible looking. I used an 18 gauge needle and a syringe. She is still eating some and drinking a bit. She’s alert. I still have her in the bathtub. Any idea of how often you should drain? I saw in a video posted on this site somewhere not to pull too much out (1 1/2 - 2 cups) at once since it can put them into shock. But I don’t think it mentioned how often you should actually drain.

I can’t really feel her crop right now but she is still pooping. I haven’t seen anything yet from the calcium citrate.

Yes, it’s terrible looking. I used an 18 gauge needle and a syringe. She is still eating some and drinking a bit. She’s alert. I still have her in the bathtub. Any idea of how often you should drain? I saw in a video posted on this site somewhere not to pull too much out (1 1/2 - 2 cups) at once since it can put them into shock. But I don’t think it mentioned how often you should actually drain.

I can’t really feel her crop right now but she is still pooping. I haven’t seen anything yet from the calcium citrate.
I've never drained before so I don't know, I would say once she starts acting more lethargic and bloated.

Back
Top Bottom