Sour Crop Can’t throw up

dirtylittlefly

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Vancouver, WA
Help! My 12 week old Dominant Marans has sour and pendulous crop. I first noticed something may be off with her when I held her upside down by the feet and she stated vomiting. I didn’t know why that happened so I quickly turned her right side up because I did not want her to aspirate. Later that day I noticed her staggering after eating and noticed her crop was really huge and pendulous. I brought her in last Night, watched a bunch of videos, opted to massage Only And delay inducing vomiting as the vomit earlier did not smell bad. The consistency is like a large water balloon but sometimes will become firm, almost like the muscles are trying to contract and move along food. Especially at these point she will kind of yawn/strain..... like a yawn but not with a full open mouth and she pushes her head forward a bit. I also gave her some coconut oil last night but she’s so young she doesn’t have waddles and this morning her crop is still larger then a tennis ball. I tried to get her to vomit by massaging and turning her at a 45 degree angle, massaging, completely inverting her, massaging, with no luck except a smell coming from her mouth. I can hear gurgling noises.

I do feed fermented feed With ACV and a couple days ago it was beginning to get pretty ripe, so i gave them the rest and started a new batch. They did not eat it as fast as usual.

I keep needing to retype words so hopefully they’re not hiding below this paragraph, my phone won’t let me scroll down more

Attachments

• D96A506B-CF32-4E1C-A756-87BA57774FC4.jpeg
    D96A506B-CF32-4E1C-A756-87BA57774FC4.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 52
What does her poop look like?

poop looks normal. Maybe a little on the dry side. Probably pooped... 10 times in the last 12 hours? So that part is encouraging.

I was successful getting her to regurgitate some by holding her mouth open, while holding her upside down and massaging. But was giving her frequent breaks to breathe and prevent aspiration, and she stopped regurgitating. Her breath is terrible but the vomit wasn’t too pungent. Though I don’t have the best sense of smell.

I noticed a couple birds this morning had a little bit of residual food in their crops this morning, so I’m thinking maybe an impaction issue? I do have long grass they’ve been working on. Was going to mow and take but it’s raining for the next week. >_<

another pic of her last night, you can see a bit of her skin over the crop.

Attachments

• D447EAD1-996A-49CD-AC34-563B9228A4B2.jpeg
    D447EAD1-996A-49CD-AC34-563B9228A4B2.jpeg
    383.5 KB · Views: 3
I noticed a couple birds this morning had a little bit of residual food in their crops this morning, so I’m thinking maybe an impaction issue? I do have long grass they’ve been working on. Was going to mow and take but it’s raining for the next week. >_<
Do you know how to give subcutaneous fluids?
i have on a dog or cat. Between the shoulder blades. Is it the same for a chicken? How much to give? Though I don’t have a needle. I have an oral syringe but that seems so tedious, and not sure how much good it will do.
I put some blended garlic in her water but she doesn’t seem to like the taste so I was going to switch that out with regular water.

It's a little hard than cats or dogs because their skin isn't loose and because the have air sacs. If you have a bag of fluids, some large syringe, and a needle, I can tell you how to do it.

So I chatted with a vet online. They suggested:
For Sour Crop:
Monistat 7 day creme diluted half with water, give 1 ml twice daily.
For Impacted Crop:
Mix Metamucil to the consistency of pulpy orange juice. Mix 3/4 tsp of that with one crushed tab of Papaya enzyme. Give 3ml twice daily.
I’m massaging her crop afterward to Mix the medicine. She also had me feed her bits of scrambled egg, her regular feed, and also suggested thawed cooked corn or pasta. I thought that part was weird. But I am feeding her fermented feed watered down to make sure she was enough liquid and other stuff in there to keep the mass from getting hard again.

it started with a large water balloon, larger than a tennis ball But Sunday it shrunk to the size of a plum and became moldable. 😬

Back
Top Bottom