Sour Crop - coconut yogurt instead?

Dealing with sour crop in one of my girls. I separated and withheld food for 24hrs, but left out grit and water, gave her 1/3 a monistat 2% suppository 1x today and will do it 1x a day for a few more days. I’ve tried massaging her crop as well.

If by morning her crop is still full and squishy… do I continue to withhold food longer? Should I help her to regurgitate what’s in there?

When should I offer food? I read to offer Greek yogurt with no added sugar, but my children have dairy allergies and we can’t risk them getting contaminated with it, especially because they help me a lot with her. Could I do a coconut yogurt with probiotics and no sugar? Or probiotics in the water instead?

Would love to hear your experiences with sour crop and how you successfully treated it! The sooner she can be reintegrated with the others the better, as she was already getting bullied for being separated a long while dealing with a comb injury. 😩

(I also have acidified copper sulfate. I don’t know which is better to use - that or the monistat!)
I will follow this closely! Dealing with sour crop too - and asked similar questions- good luck with your girl!!

I will follow this closely! Dealing with sour crop too - and asked similar questions- good luck with your girl!!
Thank you, she’s better now! I gave her Acidified Copper Sulfate for 5 days in her water, as well as the monistat suppositories cut into thirds, 2x a day for about 5 days. I also massaged her crop gently several times a day and tried feeding her some wet mash (she didn’t like), but was able to get her to eat scrambled eggs mixed with Cocoyo plain yogurt and minced garlic. I also sprinkled in oregano, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon. I didn’t give her her regular food during this time. I also syringed the ACS water a bit to get her more hydrated because I wasn’t sure if she was drinking enough To kill the infection. I hope your girl gets better!

We also dewormed all our girls in case that was the underlying issue! I’m not sure it was, as now we’re dealing with something else with her that I suspect could be the underlying issue. But definitely worth a try!

Back
Top Bottom